Panjim is Alive


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Panaji
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Old GoaOld GoaOld Goa

One of the churches in this old Portugese settlement!
Monday morning in Panjim and the city wakes up. Tumble weed is replaced by cars, and empty streets replaced by people. We arose out of our cell, sorry hotel room; had a hose down, sorry cold shower, and went looking for some culture.

It came in the form of 'Old Goa', which was the capital before Panjim. About 9km east, we hopped into a taxi and had breakfast getting hassled in the same way you do at every tourist trap. We all stuck to our ritual of eggs and toast, mainly habit, mainly because that and cereal is about it for breakfast in India.

After looking around some of the Churches and Cathedrals in Old Goa, we got a more exciting rickshaw back to the centre of Panjim and did some shopping. After circumnavigating the whole of Panjim, finally found the bookshop we set out for. We even had coffee at the indian equivalent of starbucks! All very civilized.

With myself feeling a little better by this point, we returned to the restaurant and all enjoyed the 40p Thali's, before boarding the overnight bus to Mangalore (our stopping point before Kerala).

As far as I know, our cellmate is still on the run!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb