First Impressions


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 2nd 2006
Published: July 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

People, people, people! Not the chaotic mass I expected but an orderly and organized society.

The International Airport in Hong Kong is as amazingly efficient as it is clean and modern. Signs are plentiful and are written in Chinese and English.The passport and customs clearance lines moved quickly, thanks in part to the ushers who control, direct and monitor the queues of deplaned passengers.
We took the Airport Express Link for an inexpensive 160HGD (about 26 Canadian dollars for both of us) and arrived at Hong Kong Central Station in about 20 minutes. Our plan to take the free shuttle bus to the hotel was sabotaged by a sign indicating its cancellation for the day. Undeterred, we hopped onto the MTR (Mass Transit Railway), Hong Kong's renowned subway system. Three stops later we emerged from the Causeway Bay station into an overwhelming mass of people.
We had forgotten that July 1st is the day marking the reunification of Hong Kong and China. It is also a day of rallies and marches. Before us were thousands of pro-democracy marchers on their way from Victoria Park to the Central Government offices. As JB and I stood bewildered a young man who saw our confusion spoke to us in English, offering to direct us to our hotel. He explained that this march was in support of Universal Suffrage and that there was a rival parade elsewhere in the city celebrating the 9th anniversary of the handover.
We stumbled into the air-conditioned refuge of our hotel with our tired eyes just a bit more open to the contrasts of Hong Kong.

The next day presented us with another social phenomenon that was again confusing and interesting. It was Sunday and we decided to scout out the area. We took what was intended to be a leisurely walk through Victoria Park but found the navigation difficult. Everywhere we looked there were women from the Phillipines and Indonesia, sitting in groups on white plastic sheets. Amongst their belongings were bags filled with large quantities of food to provide picnic staples for the day. They parked themselves in every available space in and around the park, on the steps and landings of the pedestrian bridges and alongside the sidewalks. With the profusion of brightly coloured hijabs and the level of chatter which was nearly deafening in places, JB said it was like being in a bird colony. The mood was obviously joyful and animated.
At first, we assumed the gathering was for a festival, or another march, or perhaps a religious event. It turned out that these many hundreds or maybe thousands of women were all in domestic service and Sunday was their only day off. Apparently, they gather every week to swap stories, share news of home and socialize. Once again Hong Kong presented us with another face we did not expect.

Advertisement



3rd July 2006

HK Envy
I have only one memory of HK and that is of sitting on the runway at the airport during a lightening storm. We were grounded due to weather on our way home from Bangkok. Looking at the city skyline in the storm I decided I would be back one day,.. sigh! Not yet! I just love those crowded, bustling, busy, high energy big cities! They totally energize me. Sounds like you are having a great time already! Enjoy the rest and keep writing, this is cool!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb