Happy New Year Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 11th 2005
Published: February 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong is amazing. We have spent here 3.5 long days, full of action and celebrations.
There are several significant characteristics of HK. I have graded them:

In the forth place, the crowd, the hustle and bustle - more than other Asian cities I have seen. 6.8 million people in this place, so what's the surprise?

In the third place: shopping. Shopping is everywhere, worse than the US. Of course, we arrived on the holiday and probably holidays are the same all around the world - package wrapping stands outside stores, long lines. In HK, it's even more :-)

In the second place we have the ugly way they dress. They have the best firms and nice clothes, but they don't know how to match them. I am not asking for what my mother calls "Parisian shick", but some taste, please???

Finally, the winner, number 1: Escalators. I am sure they have the greatest number of escalators per square mile I have ever seen, and the longest ones, up to 4 floors of a shopping mall. They have what they call "the mid-level escalator" that simply goes up and up the streets, instead of climibing stairs. But that one was broken to many small parts, how disappointg... However in mall, in subway stations, everywhere, they have the longest and most impressive ESCALATORS!!!

And I will write a little about what we've seen in a separate post.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb