A Sunday walk


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lamma Island
November 18th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Very cloudy and misty today.

I decided to have another day out, so walked down to the ferry terminals again. All the streets and pavements were littered with Filipino girls having picnics. Apparently Sunday is the day off for the 153,000! maids in the area and they take the centre over (the Indonesian maids go to Victoria Park, I understand). I thought I'd better do something about postcards on the way (have any readers received them?) and then waited for ferry to Lamma Island at pier 4.

Following a short wait, I got on the ferry to Yung Sue Wan. After a 25 minute trip through the murky harbour - there were many container ships unloading onto barges - I arrived on the island, along with the rest of the crowded ferry. I walked though the village, which was typical of any seaside village with beach shops and lots of cafes. Got to Hung Shung Yeh beach after a 20 minute walk along the concrete path and stopped there for a while. The crowds had largely dispersed - I suspect into the restaurants for Sunday lunch - and the beach wasn't terribly busy.

It was warm, with the sun occasionally peeking through the clouds. The Chinese seem to behave differently on a beach - just looking around - all the Westerners were behaving as I would expect. Swam 300m out to the shark net - dismantled - Gulp! - and then had lunch.

Carried on along the path - obviously a popular Sunday walk, as there were many people doing the same. There was traditional Chinese kite flying at some of the high spots. There were good view along the coastline - pity about the large power station.

After a few kilometres, I descended through a small, traditional hamlet - out to fleece the tourists - to the other (deserted) beach and the back eastwards over the spine of the island to Sok Kwu Yam village. This contained many seafood restaurants and a small temple. Waited for the evening ferry back to Hong Kong for about half an hour. There were too many people to get on the ferry, but they had a backup ferry waiting - obviously a regular Sunday thing. Went back to the hotel and started sorting out for the next leg.

Advertisement



20th November 2007

Beach behaviour...
It's an asian/western thing - what's an acceptable level of skin? Here's a comment from an asian visitor to lamma: "Tourists were moving around the island like worms and the only thing that struck my eyes were caucasians wearing bikinis. wohoo! But unfortunately they’re too fast, cuz’ they cycled!" that from another blog mentioning Lamma : www [dot] halyconstudio [dot] net/blog/?p=129

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb