Hanging out in Central


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
November 10th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I met a friend for lunch, but as luck would have it, the Mexican restaurant didn't open until noon and it was only 11am! Well, off to see the area and check out a gourmet popcorn shop he knew about. We ate it on a rooftop of a mall--nice and quiet up there. It was like finding a hidden quiet spot in the middle of the city. I'm sure it's a nice respite for those in the middle of a long work day.

After lunch we saw the new James Bond movie. It's not showing on the mainland yet and there's no way I'm taking the chance that it might not be one of the 20 selected foreign films allowed into the country for the year. 007 was excellent, to say the least.

We were on our way back to the metro when we saw a crowd gathered in a skyway. Down below, police were setting up cones and narrowing the driving lanes for traffic. We stopped to see what was happening. Soon, a parade started marching through--a gay pride parade! I haven't seen one in years and this would certainly never happen on the mainland. It was exciting to see so many out, marching for themselves or to show support for the community. The parade was so long that they had to stop it 4 times to let the pile up of cars get through. Everyone in the skyway and on the sidewalk below cheered and took photos.

We were hungry (again) and stopped for snacks and got lost on rooftops. We even found a children's playground! It's amazing what happens when you leave your normal, beaten path.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Lost on a rooftopLost on a rooftop
Lost on a rooftop

but look at the view
YumYum
Yum

Pastry, custard, and fresh mango


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb