Midnight at the Oasis


Advertisement
Asia » China
October 16th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Some say everyday is a gift. If so, these 11 days in Xinjiang were gifts wrapped in quality colorful Hallmark paper with the extra curly bows on top. Yes, the weather was good. The tourism was low and sights were free from megaphone toting tour guides and multitudes of photo popping tourists. We experienced history, culture, scenic beauty, and pure and simple fun. In fact, we racked up 14 di... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 133, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

AdilAdil
Adil

Our guide, the farthest left person, invited us to his Old Village home to meet his family, see his way of life, and partake of more fabulous Uygur food. Homemade noodles, spicy mutton kebabs, nuts, fruits, yogurt etc... Wow! Did you know that they are VERY family oriented. Also, hanging on fiercely to their heritage. "We must preserve our language." they tell us.
AkbahAkbah
Akbah

Our driver kept us safe, helped us in the market purchases, sang to us, laughed with us, and even searched out bandages for my small cut. All without ever speaking a bit of english. Good man.
Power in the GobiPower in the Gobi
Power in the Gobi

To make use of a stretch of land so windy that cars are rolled right over and rocks blown into the air, this 400+ turbine wind farm works away.
Flaming MountainsFlaming Mountains
Flaming Mountains

This hostile area is beautiful and full of history. Turpan is the hottest (high of 121F), dryest (16mm rain/year), lowest(2nd only to the Dead Sea), and sweetest (grape sugar content 22%) place in all of China!
Bezeklik CavesBezeklik Caves
Bezeklik Caves

Wealthy merchants hired out monks to create cave temples in which to pray for their well-being. Left behind is an amazing testimony to the many nations and cultures which once traveled along the silk road. 83 caves. 6th-10th century! The monks lived in the structures below the caves, closest to the river.
Raisin ovensRaisin ovens
Raisin ovens

Grape drying Xinjiang style. Hang 'em on a pole with side bars, bake 30-45 days and Voila - sweet perfection (50% sugar!).
Baking peppersBaking peppers
Baking peppers

They love their chilis and thanks to the dry, hot, climate, can easily prepare enough to last all winter. 2 weeks to dry, bag 'em up, eat until next May.
Down in the valleyDown in the valley
Down in the valley

The mountain melt river provides a bit of natural green to this otherwise harsh landscape.
Slumber in Tuyga valleySlumber in Tuyga valley
Slumber in Tuyga valley

Peaceful with little chance of rain, this outdoor bed is quite typical for this area.
Gaochang donkey cartGaochang donkey cart
Gaochang donkey cart

Now this is the way to traverse this large ancient city. 1400 years ago a home to 30,000 people and a center for trade of goods, now only remnants remain.
Where have all the people gone?Where have all the people gone?
Where have all the people gone?

Normally a tourist high point, now we can quietly linger and ponder the temples, government buildings, homes, and roads left behind.
Grape ValleyGrape Valley
Grape Valley

Did you know that even 2000 years ago they loved their raisins? Some were found in old tombs in this area.
World's oldest businessWorld's oldest business
World's oldest business

Perhaps! How many places can boast "since 1000BC"?
Night market diningNight market dining
Night market dining

We sat outside, our guide went from stall to stall selecting food, and it all just appeared on our table. What fun to try so many local specialties.
Emin MiniaretEmin Miniaret
Emin Miniaret

Built 1777. 37m tall. The surface has 15 different patterns - each with significance. Farmland, Flaming Mountains, Karez irrigation system, environment, Buddhism, etc...
Emin MosqueEmin Mosque
Emin Mosque

I learned so much about Islam. Did you know that this area of China is predominantly Muslim because of the silk road and Islamic travelors who convinced kings who then required their subjects to convert. Buddhism is a minority here.
Harem + the queenHarem + the queen
Harem + the queen

Really, I included this photo because the background reveals the city of Jiao He. A bustling governmental headquarters, this ancient city housed up to 7000 people from 300BC-14th century.
City streetsCity streets
City streets

The whole city was underground, except for the narrow streets which we are walking on. The walls and windows of homes are still intact. There's still water in their wells, secret escape tunnels, and remains of a large Buddhist temple
Chug chug chugChug chug chug
Chug chug chug

Overnight in our comfy sleeper car to our next destination, Dunhuang. Followed by 2 hrs. on the famed regional "massage roads" - free massage as you bobble along!



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb