Khop Kun Kaa Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 4th 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

It’s warm. It’s beautiful. Its people are gentle and kind.

It’s Thailand.

That’s it. That’s why gazillions of people flock here for relaxation and a retreat from their everyday stresses. Us included.

Our 1 week stay was divided between adventure and beach time. Perfect for a family with active, older kids. The “adventure” took us on a 3 day, 105km bike ride through the countryside outside of Bangkok. The desire for sand between our toes took us to the island of Phuket.

Countryside of sugar cane and red dirt covered roads. Jungles and rubber tree plantations. Phuket with multitudes of beachgoers and warm teal colored waters. Islands around islands. Contrasting starkly to bustling Bangkok with its street markets, congested traffic, and modern shopping malls. But then, just when you might think there’s no continuity, there’s the food. Somehow it connects it all. Eating Thai food in Thailand is pure pleasure - whether it be at the riverside resort breakfast buffet, lunch on a boat in the beautiful bays surrounding Phuket, or evening dining at a tropical outdoor restaurant - the flavors mingle and permeate into your palate to define and represent Thailand. Coconut milk, spicy peppers (watch out for the tiny green ones!), seafood, noodles, curries, fragrant rice, and always fruits to finish it off. Metaphorically refreshing, exciting, nourishing, and oh so sweet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

A sweet haulA sweet haul
A sweet haul

Sugarcane loaded trucks. A typical sight on Thai roads.
NativeNative
Native

Our first stop on the bike ride was at an elephant village.
On the wayOn the way
On the way

Typical roadside scenery along our countryside bike ride.
Local hospitalityLocal hospitality
Local hospitality

A hammock, a smile, shade and rest. Another nice stop on our trek through the countryside.
Wat Prasat Muang SinghWat Prasat Muang Singh
Wat Prasat Muang Singh

These 12th century Khmer ruins have striking similarity to those in Siem Reap area of Cambodia. Fun to climb on.
HavenHaven
Haven

This mom and baby enjoyed peace and shade as the other sugar cane workers hacked away nearby.
Sweeeet!Sweeeet!
Sweeeet!

Chomping on sugar cane on a hot day in the Thai countryside. Fuel for the coming hilly ride. Simple pleasure.
TranquilityTranquility
Tranquility

These buddah statues loomed large in a deserted field where we stopped for fruit and tasty sweet sticky rice snacks.
Yo!Yo!
Yo!

Don't let the frail appearance of our bike guide, Yo, fool you. He can really pedal fast up long hills and seemingly never gets tired. Even when wearing a sweater in 90+ degree weather.
InvitingInviting
Inviting

At the bottom of a treacherous hill, Matt pauses before crossing on a rickety river bridge.
Careful!Careful!
Careful!

This is the bridge where I learned to focus my vision on where I plan to step - instead of where I'm afraid I might.
50th50th
50th

Not exactly a flattering picture, but a great memory. What better way to celebrate spending 50 years on this planet.
BungalowsBungalows
Bungalows

The view from the veranda of our bungalow, looking toward Kirsten, Ty, and Jessie's abode. Lovely local resort.
Country roadsCountry roads
Country roads

The red dirt and dense foliage cover are typical of our ride through the Thai jungle areas.
Chance encounterChance encounter
Chance encounter

I love this photo as it shows a typical vegetable bike with the long green beans, friends happy to greet one another, and Kirsten in the background, enjoying the moment.
Sawatdee kaaSawatdee kaa
Sawatdee kaa

A wonderful treat to experience more than 50 "sawatdee kaas", complete with a reverent bow and folded hands, as each child passed me by on the bridge.
Bangkok by nightBangkok by night
Bangkok by night

The view from our hotel room.
Welcome 2010Welcome 2010
Welcome 2010

The tiny lights in the background are "wish lanterns". These candlepowered lanterns are released into the night time sky and carried away by the gentle breezes. Magical.
Phi Phi islandPhi Phi island
Phi Phi island

This beach was lovely, but way too crowded for my liking.


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb