Jade Dragon Snow Mountain - Our China Tour Ends here :(


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Yu Long Snow Mountain
October 31st 2009
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was our last day of sightseeing in China (tomorrow is our last day, but it will only be packing and airport transit).

Today was one my personal highlights of this trip (along with the Great Wall, Riding the Xi’an city walls, Terracotta army) as we visit the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. The mountain has several peaks (from memory, somewhere in the 30’s) the highest just under 5,600m. The mountain has been climbed (successfully) once in 1987, the Chinese government allowed a Japanese expedition a few years ago, but many of them died on the mountain. Since then, it is forbidden to climb the mountain, also it is sacred to the local people.

We went to a meadow which is around 3,200 meters above sea level (the highest I have been!). In the meadow there is a couple dozen yak just minding their own business. As I was trying to get Judith to take a picture of me with them in the background, one didn’t take a liking to me and charged me (well it was an angry stomp but charging sounds better).

On our way back to the bus, we stopped for a little bit at the Blue Moon Valley which is probably around 2,800m. Very picturesque area with the amazing colours in the pond and Jade Dragon in the background.

After Blue Moon Valley we went to a local Naxi Farming Village were we had lunch in a small cafe/restaurant. Probably one our best lunches we had by the way, I just wish I took the name of the village down. On our wondering around the village, yet again we were harassed by the merchants selling the wears, we must have taken a wrong turn as a dog came out of house and told us so. Judith claims it “nuzzled” her behind, of course the locals found all this amusing.

Our final sightseeing was the Black Dragon Pool back in Lijiang before our final dinner and flight back to Kunming for our last night in China. While were here, Judith and I got conned by some fake monk (well somebody told us after the ceremony). He asked for a donation, which we gave what we could as both of us had very little left, he wasn’t really happy with our petty donation. Ohh well, thankfully he was a fake (apparently).

In the park is one of the quintessential photos in China with Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in the background and its reflection in the pool. When we arrived at the location it was madness to get into position to take a photo, let alone getting one with you in it!

That pretty much ends our trip to China other than our final dinner in a restaurant across the road and our flight back to Kunming before we head back home the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb