Hiking in Medog of Tibet


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
June 25th 2014
Published: June 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The remote area of Medog in Tibet is becoming an increasingly popular site for hikers, with a highway set to open the area in 2012, many intrepid travelers are taking the opportunity to visit China's last county without paved roads before it is linked to modern civilization.



Located in the southeastern part of Tibet, on the region's Indian boarder, the only way to reach Medog is to climb over the 4,800-meter-high Galongla or 4,300-meter-high Duoxiongla snow mountains.



Nestled among the high traverses, Medog boasts picturesque views and is home to the Mengba ethnic people. Medog means secret lotus in Tibetan language and is regarded as a holy land by Tibetan Buddhists.



"Cliffs, waterfalls, nature - experiencing four seasons in one day and indulging in nature in the most simple way, all these add to the charm of Medog," said Jin Qiao, secretary general of China Volkssport Association (CVA), a walking and hiking group.



Due to its unique geographical position, beauty and isolation, Medog has long been attractive to those who love the great outdoors. Only mountain paths connect local villages and towns, with residents mainly relying on horses and mules for transportation.





A popular trekking route is from Bom county to Bayi county, with Medog in the middle and has been voted as one of China's top hiking journeys on many travel websites.



A recent group from Beijing saw 24 hikers take on the 300-kilometer journey. Arriving in Tibet by train, then taking a bus to Bom, the group covered an average 30 kilometers a day.





Hit by altitude sickness, snowblindness and leeches, most of the group agreed that the trip was worth it due to the amazing views, dramatic climactic changes and enchantment of the forests.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb