Everest Base Camp to Tingri


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Everest
July 3rd 2014
Published: July 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Walking in the shadow of iconic Mt. Everest provides a heady mix of solitude, wildlife sighting and physical challenge. You might even get lucky and see a Tibetan brown bear rambling in the pastures. If you want to travel to Tibet, this trek is the one that you don’t want to miss.



If you are looking for an alternative exit route from Everest Base Camp, this trek to Tingri is an excellent choice. The route passes through an isolated valley on the way up to the Pang-la and then enters a region used by herders and their livestock. Following the Ra-chu Valley, the route swings northwards along a motorable track to the plains of Tingri. It’s also possible to do this trek in the opposite direction. If you get tired of trekking along the road, you can always try to get a lift. Vehicles now regularly ply this route during summer.



If you do decide to trek into Everest from Tingri, it is possible to hire yaks, guides and even pony carts in Tingri. Animals and helpers can set you back as much as 100 RMB per head, but try your benevolent powers of persuasion to get the best deal possible.





The trekking season in the Everest region extends from April to late October. This is a difficult high-elevation region with altitudes ranging between 4400m and 5400m, and one high point is at the beginning of the trek! Careful preparation and the right fear are imperative.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb