Famous trekking routes in Tibet


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
June 18th 2014
Published: June 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mt. Kailash Trek

For over a thousand years, pilgrims have journeyed the Mt. Kailash and Lake Mansarovar to pay homage to the mountain’s mystery.



Circulating the two is a ancient ritual of devotion that has been kept to today. People have been visiting the Mt. Kailash and Lake Mansarovar for centuries.





Shalu to Nartang Trek in Tibet

Shalu to Nartang Trek in Tibet starts at the historic Shalu Monastery, passes through several villages as well as uninhabited dry canyons, and then ends at Nartang Monastery. It is the shortest trek route in Tibet, just about 15 hours walking, you can divided into 2 or 3 days according to your personal physical condition. The optional walking season is from the beginning of April to the end of October.



Not far away from Friend-ship Hwy, Shalu to Nartang trek follows the ancient trade route between the two great Buddhist monasteries. This two-three days trek is a good opportunity to get an experience of trekking in Tibet. While you trek through the route, you can feel the caravans laden with scriptures and treasures that once passed this way.


trek to Namtsotrek to Namtsotrek to Namtso

Breathtaking landscape around the Namtso Lake



Tsurphu to Yangpachen Trek

Tsurphu to Yangpachen trek is a rugged walk beginning at Tsurphu Monastery and crossing several high valleys like Leten valley and Bartso valley before emerging into the broad and windswept Yangpachen Valley. This trek is a nicely balanced combination of cultural and wilderness activities, with alpine tundra, mountain panoramas, ancient monasteries and a remote nunnery. As a well-known mature trekking route in Tibet, Tsurphu to Yangpachen trek is also listed as one of the top 20 trekking routes in China and deserves your try when you travel to Tibet.

Nyenchen Tanglha Trek - Damxung to Namtso

Nyenchen Tanglha trek is a fabulous trek of traversing the Nyenchen Tanglha Mountains to the famous holy Lake Namtso. This trekking tour starts from Damxung, passes through, beautiful meadows, glaciated valleys and mountains of the Nyenchen Thanguha range to the pebbled shores of the lake.

After leaving Damxung valley, the route wends its way through a rocky defile, the gateway to a high-elevation forest where dwarf willow and rhododendron are dominant species. A number of stream crossings await you. A tundra-filled upper valley gradually climbs to the Kyang-la (Onager pass), followed by a steep descent onto the Changtang plains. Fantastic views of sparkling Namtso and Tashi Do are visible from many vantage points on the trail. And colourful drokpa camps dot the way.



Tingri to Everest Base Camp Trekking

Trekkers have explored numeorus trekking routes towards Mt. Qomolangma, the world's highest peak. Still, if you like trekking in the unexplored zones, then you can opt the routes to the Mt. Qomolangma range from the Tibetan Himalayas side.

One of the trek tour routes is from Kathmandu to Tibet. You can drive across the beautiful Nepalese countryside to the Chinese boarder town of Zangmu, on which you will negotiate the road up through deep gorges of the Sunkoshi River and pass the Tingri village in Tibet.



On the trip from the ancient village Tingri to base camp, you can see the magnificent and huge dimensions of Mt. Qomolangma.





Trekking permits in Tibet

There are two requirements for foreign tourists travel in Tibet.

One is the Chinese Visa, which you can apply for in Chinese Embassy in your place.

Another is the Alien Travel Permit , which is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau.



There are no independent trek tours allowed in Tibet. You should join an organized group or have the local travel operator arrange a trek tour for you.



High altitude sickness

High altitude sickness could happen to any guest in high altitude.

The effect of high altitude sickness usually remains 2 days till the body has acclimatized to the climate and the height. Headache, nausea, vomiting and short breath are the common symptoms.



To avoid the high altitude sickness the tourist could take garlic soup and drink more water frequently.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb