Hiking from Ganden to Samye monasteries


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
June 16th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ganden to Samye trekis regarded as one of the best hikes in the world. It is a fulfilling and pleasant pilgrimage trip with much to offer, an overview of Tibetan Buddhism and religious culture, blue holy lakes, high snowy passes and mountains, lush alpine meadows, sporadic herders’ camp, tranquil Tibetan villages, time-honored sacred sites, finally culminating at the barren, desert-like surroundings near the Samye Monastery. If you travel to Tibet, we highly recommend you to try this trek, which will make your Tibet tour more interesting.



It takes three days' camping and hiking from the Ganden Monastery in Lhasa, capital city of Tibet, to the Samye Monastery of Lhoka in the southern part of Tibet.



It requires both good physical and psychological conditions as the hikers have to depart at a 4,000-meter ridge and then climb over two mountains with an elevation above 5,000 meters.



Hard as it is, the journey is worth it since the landscapes all along the way are magnificent enough to take your breath away.



Besides, the weather there is quite changeable. The hikers may experience four seasons in a single day, so we suggest the hikers bring enough but proper clothes.



Best Time to trek





The best time for the trek in Tibet is from mid-May to mid-October when it is warmer. Summer can be wet, especially in July and August which are simultaneously the peak season and rainy season, but the mountains are at their greenest and wildflowers spangle the alpine meadows. But temperatures can fall well below freezing at night. Sometimes, snow may trap you in your tent.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb