Back into sunny China on New Years Day


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dalian
February 19th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.92, 121.65

Dalian is a coastal city which is a popular holiday resort. Because it was Chinese New Year, lots of people were about and there was a party atmosphere. We had a welcome party of dancers on the quayside and in People's Square kids were flying kites. We had an overview of the city from Green Hill viewing platform and drove all the way round Xinghai Square which is the largest in Asia, larger even than Tiananmen square. It is surrounded by exotic buildings and the lights are in the shape of acacia flowers which is the city flower. The city is famous for its Police horses which are all ridden by women. There is a sculpture to them in the square. There is also a massive horizontal sculpture which goes up at the sides. Like eveyone else we had to walk up to the top but it was much steeper than it looked. After a walk round the square we drove round the coast to other view points by which time we were all tired. (All this fine dining and wining every day takes it out of you!)
Our guide who was a second year university student and very cute sang us a Happy New Year song on the bus. This was the first time she had been a guide as it was the only time she could get to speak to foreigners and practice her English. She did speak very well. At the end of the afternoon she said they were going to drop us off in a shopping mall for an hour but she then faced a mutiny by all the passengers as we all wanted to go back to the ship. Once she realised we all wanted to go back she persuaded the driver to take us back. At least she got several tips for her efforts.
Back on the ship there is respiratory illness going round and several people have been quarantined in their cabin for 2 days. The doctor on board is working hard. We have both got slight sniffles but nothing major so wont go near the doc- do not want to be locked in our cabin! Even when we went back through Chinese immigration to get off the ship for the day, they were scanning everyone with thermal cameras to make sure we weren't bringing any nasty disease into the country.So at least we know our temperature is normal!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb