# 115 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (The Dragon Boat Festival of Qintong, Jiangsu)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Spring 2009 Qintong Dragon Boat Festival Extravaganza attracts visitors from near and far, and they witness one of the great colorful out-door spectaculars in the Province of Jiangsu, only an hour from my home in Taizhou. This Dragon Boat Festival has become one of those special cultural highlights, most unique to China, a presentation I wish never to miss. I truly appreciate the effort... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 30Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 30
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 30

All of ones senses are tested on this spectacular morning. All of it is captured for a TV audience of millions by the extended camera arms.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 31Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 31
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 31

The finale is on hand as many of the smaller boats come closer to the stage, to watch the traditional Lion Dance.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 32Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 32
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 32

The Blue Dragon, the Golden Lions carefully guard the lovely singers, as the audience begins what is a typically Chinese habit: "The too early departure from any performance". :-(
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 33Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 33
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 33

The closing salvo of colors brings the Qintao Dragon Boat Festival, 2009, to its conclusion, and much too soon may I add.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 34Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 34
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 34

With the portrait of Mr. Hue Jintao on the giant screen, it is easy to tell, that the current President is a "home-boy" of Taizhou.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 35Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 35
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 35

It does not take long for a Chinese audience to disappear. But for me it has been one of the year's memorable events in Taizhou.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 36Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 36
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 36

And staying a little longer has its benefits. Some of the performers began to make their way past me, and it gave me a few additional photo opportunities.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 37Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 37
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 37

The Golden Dragon made his way past me, giving me the chance to understand and appreciate its details.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 38Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 38
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 38

These young men are serious about their skills, and carefully secure their most important prop.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 39Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 39
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 39

Probably the most important animal through-out China's ages has been the Dragon. It is respected, honored, and once could only be worn and adorn the emperors. Most Chinese festivals include the Dragon's "charm" as part of the festivities in form of the "Dragon Dance".
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 40Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 40
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 40

"The dragon has suddenly become so very friendly". The three young men, minutes ago legs of the Dragon, were excited to pose with me. I made sure to let them know, how thrilled I was at their performance.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 41Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 41
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 41

It was over much too soon. Shows and festivities, the way Chinese people offer them, is what makes my stay in China more memorable.
With his head-wreath, this young man fights off the evil spirits.With his head-wreath, this young man fights off the evil spirits.
With his head-wreath, this young man fights off the evil spirits.

On our return to bus, everyone looks a little dejected at the thought, that it will be another year for the next extravagaza at Qintong Water Park and Wetlands.
Her smile tells us something?Her smile tells us something?
Her smile tells us something?

The evil spirits have no chance with her!
I think the spirits got to them!I think the spirits got to them!
I think the spirits got to them!

I am not so sure if these two were successful at thwarting off the evil? They do look a little down.
And now the time for some Chinese delicacies during a lunch hosted by the Taizhou Foreign Affairs Office.And now the time for some Chinese delicacies during a lunch hosted by the Taizhou Foreign Affairs Office.
And now the time for some Chinese delicacies during a lunch hosted by the Taizhou Foreign Affairs Office.

The Taizhou Foreign Office transported us to this exclusive banquet after the Festival. At the only 5 Star hotel in Taizhou, the local government hosted the visiting dignitaries and the important business connections for the city.
It was an honor to be included in this banquet, thank you!It was an honor to be included in this banquet, thank you!
It was an honor to be included in this banquet, thank you!

The head of the Taizhou Foreign Affairs Office makes sure, that every table meets his expectations.
See you next year at the Qintong Dragon Boat Festival in Taizhou.See you next year at the Qintong Dragon Boat Festival in Taizhou.
See you next year at the Qintong Dragon Boat Festival in Taizhou.

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful day with me. I can't wait for next year's invitation. Please enlarge the photos if your time permits. The greater details may offer additional surprises.



1st May 2009

HAPPY MAY DAY, HANS! :-)
1st May 2009

Your historical knowledge is amazing. The Chinese General is Yue Fei. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Fei By the way, Chinese dragon is different from western dragon. The Chinese dragon has no wings but can fly. The Chinese dragon is luck/good animal while the western dragon is an evil in westerners' eyes. Also Han Chinese also call them the offspring of the dragon(long).
1st May 2009

Hans hope you are enjoying yourself hope to see you soon here at gables sr high for a visit lots of love alex
2nd May 2009

Happy every day!
You are a very good teacher and i like you so much !
2nd May 2009

Best wishes
I wish I could be there to enjoy the scenery as well Mr. Schneider .And happy labor-day!
2nd May 2009

Just hello!!!
Just a couple of lines to let you know you're truly missed!!!...Happy to know you're doing well!!! much love, Maria
5th May 2009

This is a lavish banquette and the happiness is truly infectious. Looking at your bound-foot shaped zongzi makes me just hungry! Surprisingly, there're so many stories around the Duanwu festival. Whereas the legend of the Whitesnack-lady has been always romantic, the roaming ghosts in the court are pretty scarry! Above all, the soul of the patriot and pioneer poet Qu Yuan must be resting in great satisfaction, as he's been adored so loyally by all people cross the country.
19th May 2009

The Dragon Boat Festival looks cool and stuff, but it needs more to it..and the food looks nasty, i wonder if cuban food is acceptable there?? if so, then i would go lol -Lesan Sierra ,CGSH Mr.Wangs Class (P.4)
1st June 2009

I was student of Herr Schnieder 25 years ago at Revere High School in Massachusetts. He is a great teacher and I only wish my children could have had the chance to be taught by Hans.
9th June 2009

May you happy,Hans!
Hans,I am one of your students in the Nanjing Normal University Taizhou College.Yesterday,I came to your travel blog for the first time.The beautiful pictures and words really impressed me. You have travelled so many places in China,and left your footprint in that place.You view everything so beautiful,and consider the people so beautiful.Actually,you yourself is so cute.Because in your heart,there is full of love and enthusiam. We are really honored to be your students,although just for the short one term.During the past term,you give us too much.Before every lesson, you gave us some realistic suggestions,which is very useful. No exact words can reveal the very feeling of my heart now.Just extend my sincerest wishes to you.Hans,may you happy and healthy for good!May your family happy forever~
29th June 2009

I'm coming! My Hans!
This is my first time coming to your travel blog. I'm happy you are fond of our country,maybe now you regard China as your second motherland. That will be amazing! You have a complete trip on Dragon Boat Festival, and you've made a wonderful description. Yeah,I'm proud of being a native of Taizhou! But you might know more about my city than me. So whatever else happens, I'm always with you ,when you need me, I'm here! Keep contacting!
14th July 2009

miss you my dear hans
I'm very happy during my summer holidays in my hometown YangZhou .I'm glad to visit your travel blog ,what I have to say is that your blog is very beautiful!At least yours is much better than mine.In your amazing travel blog I can leran much than you have told us in the class,it's not flatter ^_^.happy summer holidays,and enjoying youself!
5th May 2010

Festival
Hi there, I am in Taizhou and was wondering when this dragon boat festival occurs? I am from New Zealand and new to Taizhou, teaching English for a year. This looks like an exciting event!
12th May 2010
The 2009 Qintong Dragon Boat Festival in Taizhou

So wonderful!
I have been there last week ,but it is a pity that I cannot see the grand festival of dragon boat!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb