# 115 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (The Dragon Boat Festival of Qintong, Jiangsu)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Spring 2009 Qintong Dragon Boat Festival Extravaganza attracts visitors from near and far, and they witness one of the great colorful out-door spectaculars in the Province of Jiangsu, only an hour from my home in Taizhou. This Dragon Boat Festival has become one of those special cultural highlights, most unique to China, a presentation I wish never to miss. I truly appreciate the effort... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 9Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 9
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 9

I have found my seat among some very friendly and happy spectators.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 10Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 10
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 10

It is a large Grand Stand, with a panoramic view across the crowd, the stage, and the lake. TV cameras are everywhere, and as the morning mist begins to lift, the colors of the day appear.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 11Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 11
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 11

The festivities are about to begin and the Masters of Ceremony introduce today's event.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 12Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 12
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 12

The Mayor of Taizhou greets the guests, gives a speech and officially opens the Qintong Dragon Boat Festival. Notice the throng of boats ready in the background.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 13Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 13
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 13

Ultra-Lights and Hang-Gliders streak across the crowd to the delight of everyone. I counted 10 of them, and they stayed above us for most of the morning.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 14Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 14
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 14

Under the sound of colorful fireworks, the boats begin to approach the Grand Stand and pass in a parade.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 15Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 15
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 15

Thousands of locals are manning these traditional boats. In their colorful costumes, they turn the lake into a colorful spectacle.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 16Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 16
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 16

Each color proudly represents the country villages of Jiangsu, participating in the annual event and competition
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 18Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 18
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 18

This group is more agressive and determined to make an impression on the spectators.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 19Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 19
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 19

China's famous Eunich General, on his way to discover America first? It is a much discussed possibility!
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 20Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 20
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 20

Buddha and deciples remind of the most practiced religion in China.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 21Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 21
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 21

The perfomances on stage are no less wonderful, and these young guys thrill the audience with their skills.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 22Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 22
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 22

"Is that me they are holding up?"
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 23Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 23
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 23

One beautiful boat after another passes us, each offering their own form of entertainment. One of Jiangsu's well known singers entertains us with her hit.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 24Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 24
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 24

A scene from the beautiful Bejing Opera piece, "The Peach Blossom Fan", passes the audience. Beijing Opera is at home in Taizhou. Mei LanFang, one of the great Beijing Opera performers has his house in Taizhou memorialized.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 25Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 25
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 25

It is often difficult to look everywhere at once. We are surrounded by sound and color, and it becomes intoxicating.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 26Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 26
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 26

A telling look into the past of China's navy during the dynasties.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 27Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 27
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 27

Though I cannot understand much, I do enjoy and appreciate Chinese music and Chinese voices.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 28Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 28
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 28

There are moments when a collision of boats seems immenant. There are so many. But as on Chinese roads and streets, the ships in rivers and canals also, somehow and "almost" always, manage to avoid each other.
Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 29Dragon Boat Festival,  Photo 29
Dragon Boat Festival, Photo 29

If you look closer, you will see a life-size, mechanical water buffulo tamed by his handler.



1st May 2009

HAPPY MAY DAY, HANS! :-)
1st May 2009

Your historical knowledge is amazing. The Chinese General is Yue Fei. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Fei By the way, Chinese dragon is different from western dragon. The Chinese dragon has no wings but can fly. The Chinese dragon is luck/good animal while the western dragon is an evil in westerners' eyes. Also Han Chinese also call them the offspring of the dragon(long).
1st May 2009

Hans hope you are enjoying yourself hope to see you soon here at gables sr high for a visit lots of love alex
2nd May 2009

Happy every day!
You are a very good teacher and i like you so much !
2nd May 2009

Best wishes
I wish I could be there to enjoy the scenery as well Mr. Schneider .And happy labor-day!
2nd May 2009

Just hello!!!
Just a couple of lines to let you know you're truly missed!!!...Happy to know you're doing well!!! much love, Maria
5th May 2009

This is a lavish banquette and the happiness is truly infectious. Looking at your bound-foot shaped zongzi makes me just hungry! Surprisingly, there're so many stories around the Duanwu festival. Whereas the legend of the Whitesnack-lady has been always romantic, the roaming ghosts in the court are pretty scarry! Above all, the soul of the patriot and pioneer poet Qu Yuan must be resting in great satisfaction, as he's been adored so loyally by all people cross the country.
19th May 2009

The Dragon Boat Festival looks cool and stuff, but it needs more to it..and the food looks nasty, i wonder if cuban food is acceptable there?? if so, then i would go lol -Lesan Sierra ,CGSH Mr.Wangs Class (P.4)
1st June 2009

I was student of Herr Schnieder 25 years ago at Revere High School in Massachusetts. He is a great teacher and I only wish my children could have had the chance to be taught by Hans.
9th June 2009

May you happy,Hans!
Hans,I am one of your students in the Nanjing Normal University Taizhou College.Yesterday,I came to your travel blog for the first time.The beautiful pictures and words really impressed me. You have travelled so many places in China,and left your footprint in that place.You view everything so beautiful,and consider the people so beautiful.Actually,you yourself is so cute.Because in your heart,there is full of love and enthusiam. We are really honored to be your students,although just for the short one term.During the past term,you give us too much.Before every lesson, you gave us some realistic suggestions,which is very useful. No exact words can reveal the very feeling of my heart now.Just extend my sincerest wishes to you.Hans,may you happy and healthy for good!May your family happy forever~
29th June 2009

I'm coming! My Hans!
This is my first time coming to your travel blog. I'm happy you are fond of our country,maybe now you regard China as your second motherland. That will be amazing! You have a complete trip on Dragon Boat Festival, and you've made a wonderful description. Yeah,I'm proud of being a native of Taizhou! But you might know more about my city than me. So whatever else happens, I'm always with you ,when you need me, I'm here! Keep contacting!
14th July 2009

miss you my dear hans
I'm very happy during my summer holidays in my hometown YangZhou .I'm glad to visit your travel blog ,what I have to say is that your blog is very beautiful!At least yours is much better than mine.In your amazing travel blog I can leran much than you have told us in the class,it's not flatter ^_^.happy summer holidays,and enjoying youself!
5th May 2010

Festival
Hi there, I am in Taizhou and was wondering when this dragon boat festival occurs? I am from New Zealand and new to Taizhou, teaching English for a year. This looks like an exciting event!
12th May 2010
The 2009 Qintong Dragon Boat Festival in Taizhou

So wonderful!
I have been there last week ,but it is a pity that I cannot see the grand festival of dragon boat!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb