#96 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (My city in China: THIS IS TAIZHOU, the City of the Pheonix, Part 1)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
March 11th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is difficult to imagine, unless one has been a personal witness, how much Taizhou has changed its image and sky-line in only 2 years. That is the time since my first visit to this "mid-size" Chinese-city of 5 million inhabitants. Now it is my place of satisfying employment as a college teacher, and here I will continue to enjoy my second, comfortable home for some years to come. My time in... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Schools, Photo #1Schools, Photo #1
Schools, Photo #1

I am given many opportunities to visit schools in- and in the surrounding area of Taizhou. These schools are modern and very large, and the reception is always an event.
Schools, Photo #2  Schools, Photo #2
Schools, Photo #2

Visitors are eager to take a photo of The school of Mr. Hu Jiantao's Primary School, and it has become a shrine for his supporters visiting Taizhou. The President of China receives great support and is well respected by the citizens of the PRC.
Schools,  Photo #3  Schools,  Photo #3
Schools, Photo #3

A modern primary-school now complements the the humble school of years ago. Comparing the original primary school of Mr. Hu Jintao to its larger and more modern replacement just across the school-yard speaks volumes for the growth of Taizhou. Of course this is only one of dozens of existing primary schools in the city, but it is the most famous.
Schools,  Photo #4 Schools,  Photo #4
Schools, Photo #4

Within the new and large university-park, which will encompass some 4 square miles, are these new student-dorms of Nanjing University Taizhou College. Many dorms and teaching buildings are still under construction, to provide room for thousands of new students. NNUTC is only one of a number of colleges, that have appeared in the past few years.
Schools,  Photo #5 Schools,  Photo #5
Schools, Photo #5

The buildings are large, usually 5 floors, and flourish in great numbers on every college and secondary school campus. The size of each campus makes it necessary for students to use bikes to reach their class-room destinations.
Schools,  Photo #6Schools,  Photo #6
Schools, Photo #6

Teaching buildings and student dorms are constructed in similar styles of architecture. No doubt, this helps keep the cost of construction of hundreds of these structures to more managable sums.
Schools,  Photo #7Schools,  Photo #7
Schools, Photo #7

The building are set apart and are spacious. Their interiors are not heated during the winter, and have no AC for the summer heat. But their construction provides sufficient ventilation for a cool summer breeze, and winter jackets keep teachers and students warm during the winter.
Schools,  Photo #8Schools,  Photo #8
Schools, Photo #8

This is the college, where I teach English. Taizhou Teachers College, Taizhou's oldest college campus, has the most beautiful grounds. Trees line the paths to the various buildings, and make it a pleasure to traverse the campus. The technology building is seen at the end of this wonderful path.
Schools,  Photo #9Schools,  Photo #9
Schools, Photo #9

One of many special corners of Taizhou Teachers College provides this green and colorful background for a photo with some of my eager English majors. Though the campus is small, compared to the mega-and newer university-sites, I feel most comfortable here, within my park-like campus.
The Guangxiao Temple 1The Guangxiao Temple 1
The Guangxiao Temple 1

The Guangxiao Temple is the culmination of Buddhism in Taizhou. Constructed of wood, it makes a beautiful presentation, standing on top of a platform of stone, with marble railings guiding the pilgrim and visitor to the entrance.
The Guangxiao Temple 2The Guangxiao Temple 2
The Guangxiao Temple 2

The temple compound consists of several great structures. This second structure helps make the Guangxiao Buddhist Temple in Taizhou one of the great temples in Jiangsu Province.
The Guangxiao Temple 3The Guangxiao Temple 3
The Guangxiao Temple 3

In the past, most abbots of the temples in famous mountains in China came from Taizhou. The Guangxiao Temple is the largest and first one built among the ancient temples in Taizhou.
The Guangxiao Temple 4The Guangxiao Temple 4
The Guangxiao Temple 4

A new paint-job will great visitors to the Guangxiao Temple soon. All work is done by hand, and provides additional jobs for China's many laborers.
The Guangxiao Temple 5The Guangxiao Temple 5
The Guangxiao Temple 5

Many funerals are held at the Guangxiao Temple, and I was fortunate to be permitted to take photos of the ritual, supervised by the Buddhist monks of the temple. Paper-houses and paper-wealth is stacked into this small building to honor the dead.
The Guangxiao Temple 6The Guangxiao Temple 6
The Guangxiao Temple 6

A close-up of the paper-content lets us know, how important the deceased was to his family. The hight of the paper-house, surrounded by other paper-items help the deceased to live a more comfortable life in the here-after.
The Guangxiao Temple 7The Guangxiao Temple 7
The Guangxiao Temple 7

Relatives pay their last respects, as the paper-content is lit and burns, sending its content and smoke to the beyond, in ancipation of making the next life more comfortable for the deceased. Great amounts of paper-money are als burned, to keep the wallet of the dead filled.
The Guangxiao Temple 8The Guangxiao Temple 8
The Guangxiao Temple 8

Inside one of the side-halls in the Guangxiao Temple, Buddhist monks offer a prayer ceremony for the relatives of the deceased. (The photo was taken with permission by the relatives, as were the previous photos of the burning of offerings.)
Funeral Procession, Photo #1Funeral Procession, Photo #1
Funeral Procession, Photo #1

The streets of Taizhou are filled with a variety of experiences. This one occurred just below my apartment window. The noise of an out-of-tune band caused me to take these photos for the record.
Funeral Procession, Photo #2Funeral Procession, Photo #2
Funeral Procession, Photo #2

Bereaved family members follow a small band of drum-and brass instruments to the corner of this main street, just below my window. Several carry a card-board house, representing the new home of the deceased. It is customary for the family members of the dead to wear "white" head-covering.
Funeral Procession, Photo #3Funeral Procession, Photo #3
Funeral Procession, Photo #3

This type of funeral is for the "less affluent" Chinese, who cannot afford a ceremony at the local Buddhist temple, or in fact my not be believers. But the ceremony of burning the paper-habitation of the deceased is similar.
Funeral Procession, Photo #4Funeral Procession, Photo #4
Funeral Procession, Photo #4

The card-board habitation is ignited, as the mourners surround the flames. They help the fire, by throwing mountains of paper-money to help the burning. House and money are representations, and are to help the deceased in a comfortable after-life.



9th March 2008

Hi
Hey Schneider! Thank you so much for posting this entry... seeing posts like these always makes me realize how much there is to explore and that I have so much left to see while I'm here. Also, one of my favorite college roommates is an amazing violin player so I am definitely going to show her those pictures. Love always and sending you positive vibes, Sandra :)
9th March 2008

Great
That's an amazing new Taizhou. It seems that you explored it quite well. You are such an expert at photography, Hans. Cheers!
9th March 2008

Hans, what a tour of Taizhou!
Hans, this has been one of your most beautiful and enlightening entries! I can see that you'll be there for a long time, and I can certainly understand why. I'm so happy that you are going through this experience! Paul and I think about you often, and we both enjoy your photos and your observations. Danke, mein Freund! Coky
11th March 2008

Another wonderful blog, Hans!
Wow, Hans! A really spectacular effort with this blog. I'm suitably impressed- and I live here! I need to get my act together with my own blog. You're putting me to shame! Such wonderful memories I too will take with me when I depart, regretfully, in June. Such a privilege to have shared them with you , Stef and the myriad of friends I have made here, both local and foreign!
17th March 2008

Amazing, as always :D
18th March 2008

Golden collection
Hello, Hans. I have visited your blog. It look like a beautiful story. “Trust yourself.I can be just the one I wanna be ” You give me a new explanation.I will put it in my heart and give a plan to myself. Good luck my good friend Hans. ‹‚
21st July 2008

Thanks
Thank you for sending all these photos of the reality of China... better than the stuff from journalists!
25th October 2008

Dear Hans, I wonder if you´ve ever tried a ride on a man-powered riksha in China? In Taizhou, that´s one of the major transport means, particularly for people who want to save money or can´t afford a taxi. Showing some photos of those vehicles and their drivers (pedallers) may be interesting? (sorry, riksha photos might have been shown in this blog, as I'm unable to open photos beyond this page due to failure of my computer). And what about people who are still using those old public wells for washing-up? And those narrow old lanes (Gasse) hiding behind the brick houses, which are to be demolished soon?
25th October 2008

correct a word I´ve wrongly spellt: riksha------rickshaw
10th March 2010

Taizhou Teachers College
Hans-just stumbled upon your blog and photos of Taizhou. Looks like a nice place from the description and photos. Are you still teaching there? I am a native English speaker from the U.S. teaching in Thailand and looking at other options. Would like to teach in China but not sure where to go. If you are still at the university, do they need any English teachers? I have experience at university level here in Thailand. Peter
3rd August 2020
Christianity in Taizhou has a long history, dating to missionaries arriving after the floods of the 1930

Don't Be Fooled!
The doors are always locked. Even on Sunday.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb