#96 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (My city in China: THIS IS TAIZHOU, the City of the Pheonix, Part 1)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
March 11th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is difficult to imagine, unless one has been a personal witness, how much Taizhou has changed its image and sky-line in only 2 years. That is the time since my first visit to this "mid-size" Chinese-city of 5 million inhabitants. Now it is my place of satisfying employment as a college teacher, and here I will continue to enjoy my second, comfortable home for some years to come. My time in... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Rishe Garden, Photo #6The Rishe Garden, Photo #6
The Rishe Garden, Photo #6

Daoists encourage the contemplation of nature in isolated meditation, which leads to enlightenment. Therefore, the educated and wealthy Chinese built natural-looking retreats for themselves within an urban environment.
The Rishe Garden, Photo #7The Rishe Garden, Photo #7
The Rishe Garden, Photo #7

I was so happy to have a photo with the man responsible for the re-construction of the main building within the garden. It is exquisite Chinese architecture, completed, using ancient building methods. (No nails have been used.)
The Rishe Garden,  Photo #8The Rishe Garden,  Photo #8
The Rishe Garden, Photo #8

The typical Chinese Garden creates poetic and painterly concepts, and aims to improve on nature by creating a picture that looks natural, but is in fact entirely artificial.
The Rishe Garden, Photo #9The Rishe Garden, Photo #9
The Rishe Garden, Photo #9

My fortunate early visit to the Rishe Garden was facilitated, when the city of Taizhou asked me to help film a video for the city withing the grounds. I was filmed playing a board-game with a resident. (I was helped to win the game.)
The Rishe Garden, Photo #10The Rishe Garden, Photo #10
The Rishe Garden, Photo #10

The foreman in charge of re-constructing the surrounding walls and entrance admires the work of his skilled craftsmen, as the efforts near completion.
The Rishe Garden, Photo #11The Rishe Garden, Photo #11
The Rishe Garden, Photo #11

One of the main entrances of the Rishe Garden is carefully and lovingly completed with details that rival any of the past.
The Rishe Garden, Photo #12The Rishe Garden, Photo #12
The Rishe Garden, Photo #12

The labor is intensive, and methods have changed little from those of more ancient constructions.
The Rishe Garden, Photo #13The Rishe Garden, Photo #13
The Rishe Garden, Photo #13

I was so proud to have this photo with the foreman and one of the laborers, and let them know how much I appreciated their tour of the constructions site and the quality of their skill and efforts.
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 1Fengcheng River Scenic Area 1
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 1

The area along the Nanguan River Bank, completely surrounding "old Taizhou" is almost completed as a park, and will be a green belt surrounding the city. Here, an artisan is chiseling Chinese characters into one of the mamoth stones, sprinkled throughout the parks, keeping an ancient craft alive.
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 2Fengcheng River Scenic Area 2
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 2

Still under preparation for the visitors, this Fengcheng River Scenic Area, known as the Tao Garden, will become a special place to spend time. It incorporates all of the elements of a splendid Chinese garden area: Rocks, water, plants, and architecture, conceptualized by the Taoists.
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 3Fengcheng River Scenic Area 3
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 3

One of the great attractions along the River Scenic Area will be this boat constructed of stone. It's inspirations may have come from the marble boat in the Summer Palace of Beijing.
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 4Fengcheng River Scenic Area 4
Fengcheng River Scenic Area 4

As a lonely visitor prior to the opening of the River Scenic Area, I am astounded by Taizhou's changes and transformations. It will be a wonderful city to walk.
Forest and Water are enjoyed just beyond Taizhou.Forest and Water are enjoyed just beyond Taizhou.
Forest and Water are enjoyed just beyond Taizhou.

Taizhou administers four county-level cites and that surrounding area provides Taizhou with much natural scenery, enjoyed by locals and visitors.
Jingjiang, Taixing, Jiangyan, and Xinghua are the cities administered by Taizhou.Jingjiang, Taixing, Jiangyan, and Xinghua are the cities administered by Taizhou.
Jingjiang, Taixing, Jiangyan, and Xinghua are the cities administered by Taizhou.

These 4 municipalities and the two districts of Hailing and Gaogang cover an area of almost 4,000 square miles, much of it country side for agriculture, sea-farming, and recreational spaces and parks.
I have yet to see an "iron" fence in any public spaces.I have yet to see an "iron" fence in any public spaces.
I have yet to see an "iron" fence in any public spaces.

No matter where, within the city or in the country side, public spaces, that require the security of a border or fence, will be secured by wonderfully carved marble-stone-bordering, the kind, that protects me from the water in this photo.
Village and country side outside of TaizhouVillage and country side outside of Taizhou
Village and country side outside of Taizhou

This picture was taken from the car, and is typical of what surrounds the city, only 15 minutes from its downtown.
Much of Taizhou's surroundings are blessed with an abundance of fresh water.Much of Taizhou's surroundings are blessed with an abundance of fresh water.
Much of Taizhou's surroundings are blessed with an abundance of fresh water.

The water-ways are subdivided as fish-farms, eel farms, turtle farms, crab farms, shrimp farms and also produce high quality, cultured pearls in its fresh waters.
Fish-farms are worked by owners living on site.Fish-farms are worked by owners living on site.
Fish-farms are worked by owners living on site.

Each of the sub-divided fish-farms have their families living on large boats, and are many are made of "concrete", sitting quite solid to either side of the water-ways.
Waterways become highways.Waterways become highways.
Waterways become highways.

The large lakes and water-sites stretch for miles in many directions just beyond the city limits, and make it clear how much a role water plays in Taizhou's economy. They are traversed by constant boat-traffic on clearly marked "water-highways", and we are traveling on one of them.
This ancient pagoda can only be reached by boat.This ancient pagoda can only be reached by boat.
This ancient pagoda can only be reached by boat.

Swamps and marshes sit next to lakes, rivers, and canals. They offer many surprises to those, who make time to venture to some of these isolated locations.
A flock of ducks escape the path of our boat.A flock of ducks escape the path of our boat.
A flock of ducks escape the path of our boat.

The surrounding area of Taizhou is also saturated by duck farms, geese farms, chicken farms, seven-color pheasant farms, pig farms, and cattle farms.



9th March 2008

Hi
Hey Schneider! Thank you so much for posting this entry... seeing posts like these always makes me realize how much there is to explore and that I have so much left to see while I'm here. Also, one of my favorite college roommates is an amazing violin player so I am definitely going to show her those pictures. Love always and sending you positive vibes, Sandra :)
9th March 2008

Great
That's an amazing new Taizhou. It seems that you explored it quite well. You are such an expert at photography, Hans. Cheers!
9th March 2008

Hans, what a tour of Taizhou!
Hans, this has been one of your most beautiful and enlightening entries! I can see that you'll be there for a long time, and I can certainly understand why. I'm so happy that you are going through this experience! Paul and I think about you often, and we both enjoy your photos and your observations. Danke, mein Freund! Coky
11th March 2008

Another wonderful blog, Hans!
Wow, Hans! A really spectacular effort with this blog. I'm suitably impressed- and I live here! I need to get my act together with my own blog. You're putting me to shame! Such wonderful memories I too will take with me when I depart, regretfully, in June. Such a privilege to have shared them with you , Stef and the myriad of friends I have made here, both local and foreign!
17th March 2008

Amazing, as always :D
18th March 2008

Golden collection
Hello, Hans. I have visited your blog. It look like a beautiful story. “Trust yourself.I can be just the one I wanna be ” You give me a new explanation.I will put it in my heart and give a plan to myself. Good luck my good friend Hans. ‹‚
21st July 2008

Thanks
Thank you for sending all these photos of the reality of China... better than the stuff from journalists!
25th October 2008

Dear Hans, I wonder if you´ve ever tried a ride on a man-powered riksha in China? In Taizhou, that´s one of the major transport means, particularly for people who want to save money or can´t afford a taxi. Showing some photos of those vehicles and their drivers (pedallers) may be interesting? (sorry, riksha photos might have been shown in this blog, as I'm unable to open photos beyond this page due to failure of my computer). And what about people who are still using those old public wells for washing-up? And those narrow old lanes (Gasse) hiding behind the brick houses, which are to be demolished soon?
25th October 2008

correct a word I´ve wrongly spellt: riksha------rickshaw
10th March 2010

Taizhou Teachers College
Hans-just stumbled upon your blog and photos of Taizhou. Looks like a nice place from the description and photos. Are you still teaching there? I am a native English speaker from the U.S. teaching in Thailand and looking at other options. Would like to teach in China but not sure where to go. If you are still at the university, do they need any English teachers? I have experience at university level here in Thailand. Peter
3rd August 2020
Christianity in Taizhou has a long history, dating to missionaries arriving after the floods of the 1930

Don't Be Fooled!
The doors are always locked. Even on Sunday.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb