#96 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (My city in China: THIS IS TAIZHOU, the City of the Pheonix, Part 1)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
March 11th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is difficult to imagine, unless one has been a personal witness, how much Taizhou has changed its image and sky-line in only 2 years. That is the time since my first visit to this "mid-size" Chinese-city of 5 million inhabitants. Now it is my place of satisfying employment as a college teacher, and here I will continue to enjoy my second, comfortable home for some years to come. My time in... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A wonderful Camellia specimen at Taizhou's plant market.A wonderful Camellia specimen at Taizhou's plant market.
A wonderful Camellia specimen at Taizhou's plant market.

How does one keep the money in the wallet, seeing this beautiful, miniature, variagated Camellia tree.
Balcony with a view.Balcony with a view.
Balcony with a view.

Since the geography of Taizhou is flat, the view from the second-floor balcony, completely surrounding the Wanghai Tower, is special. In the center of the picture, the Christian church, we passed on our way to the park, occupies its prominent place.
The size of the church points to its importance in TaizhouThe size of the church points to its importance in Taizhou
The size of the church points to its importance in Taizhou

A close-up from the second floor of the tower makes it clear, that at the time the church was constructed, it must have been one of the towering buildings of Taizhou. The apartment-buildings beyond the church are of recent construction, and are similar to hundreds of others within the city.
It is still a winter view across the river, that completely surrounds Taizhou and protects the city.It is still a winter view across the river, that completely surrounds Taizhou and protects the city.
It is still a winter view across the river, that completely surrounds Taizhou and protects the city.

Water has played a key role in the development of the ancient city of Taizhou, and one is never far from the river banks.
Balcony view upon the central square below the Wanghai Tower.Balcony view upon the central square below the Wanghai Tower.
Balcony view upon the central square below the Wanghai Tower.

The photo shows the plaza in front of the tower. The large bronze vessel is visible near the canal, while additional buildings encase the square.
Will it become a painting?Will it become a painting?
Will it become a painting?

The Wanghai Tower is surrounded by a picturesque park and a large pond, that supplies the water for an artificial waterfall. Water within any garden or park in China is an essential element in its presentation.
A mature tree has acquired the shape of an archway.A mature tree has acquired the shape of an archway.
A mature tree has acquired the shape of an archway.

Strangely shaped trees, this one forms an arch across a path into another bamboo garden, are also important elements in the construction of a successful and admired Chinese garden. Spring will provide the colors for a painting.
WhenZheng Square honors Zheng Banquiao, the leader of "the Eight Yangzhou Eccentrics", famous for superb poetry, calligraphy, and paintings. WhenZheng Square honors Zheng Banquiao, the leader of "the Eight Yangzhou Eccentrics", famous for superb poetry, calligraphy, and paintings.
WhenZheng Square honors Zheng Banquiao, the leader of "the Eight Yangzhou Eccentrics", famous for superb poetry, calligraphy, and paintings.

A walk through another bamboo garden leads into this beautiful stone square. Here we find the "Literators Galaxy Hall", known as the Whenzheng Pavilion. In the center of the square towers a bronze statue to honor Taizhou's greatest ancient philosopher and educator, Fan Zhongyan.
Fan Zhongyan Bronze Statue in the center of WhenZheng Square.Fan Zhongyan Bronze Statue in the center of WhenZheng Square.
Fan Zhongyan Bronze Statue in the center of WhenZheng Square.

Fan Zhongyan lived from 989 A.D to 1052 A.D. in the city of Taizhou and was revered, and is now remembered, as one of its great scholars and founder of the Taizhou School.
Sue and I have noticed how much the river water had cleared, and we could see the bottom.Sue and I have noticed how much the river water had cleared, and we could see the bottom.
Sue and I have noticed how much the river water had cleared, and we could see the bottom.

As the two of us continue to follow the river banks surrounding Taizhou, the Wanghai Tower is hardly visible in the distance.
The New replaces the Old,   Photo #1The New replaces the Old,   Photo #1
The New replaces the Old, Photo #1

On one of my journeys along the river, I captured the next 5 photos of the Wanghai Tower, seen from a distance, from the opposite side of the river. The tower stands tall, within the newly created park area, surrounding the city.
The New replaces the Old, Photo #2The New replaces the Old, Photo #2
The New replaces the Old, Photo #2

Much of what were once the humble residences of Taizhou's residents along the river-banks are now being dismanteled, brick by brick. The residents are now being placed in newly constructed apartment complexes rising at a rapid rate within- and surrounding Taizhou.
The New replaces the Old, Photo #3The New replaces the Old, Photo #3
The New replaces the Old, Photo #3

Only walls remain of simple homes, as they are taken apart, their bricks and wood carefully harvested for other uses. The cleared space will now become part of the new green belt, surrounding the city along the river-banks.
The New replaces the Old, Photo #4The New replaces the Old, Photo #4
The New replaces the Old, Photo #4

The old homes along the river-bank look like this, and these are still occupied, only to wait for their moment of demise, a few weeks or months away. This will probably be the last record of their existence. Soon visitors will walk them as a park area, never knowing, that here stood once a thriving community.
The New replaces the Old, Photo #5The New replaces the Old, Photo #5
The New replaces the Old, Photo #5

Only a few more old homes, surrounded by small plots and gardens of vegetables, are now sitting in the ominous shadow of the Wanghai Tower. The humble dwellings' future have already been decided, and sadly wait for their dismantelment, only to become part of the newest green-space surrounding the city of Taizhou.
The Wenchang Pavilion in TaizhouThe Wenchang Pavilion in Taizhou
The Wenchang Pavilion in Taizhou

Further along the river, we reach the graceful Wenchang Pavilion, where flowers announce the coming of spring.
The Wenchang Pavilion in Taizhou from a distance.The Wenchang Pavilion in Taizhou from a distance.
The Wenchang Pavilion in Taizhou from a distance.

Warmer weather in Taizhou will soon bring Taizhou's many trees into bloom. Here they bring more grace to the Wenchang Pavilion.
The Chinese art of "penjing" is the forerunner to the Japanese bonsai.The Chinese art of "penjing" is the forerunner to the Japanese bonsai.
The Chinese art of "penjing" is the forerunner to the Japanese bonsai.

A visit to the local flower and plant market of Taizhou always makes my heart beat faster and makes my wallet itch. This flowering peach "penjing" is only a small sample.
Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #1Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #1
Mei Lanfang Garden, photo #1

China's best known Beijing Opera master, Mei Lanfang, is honored in the garden of his home in Taizhou with this representation in white marble.
Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #2Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #2
Mei Lanfang Garden, photo #2

This antique, water-color-painting, which I noticed hanging in the new Wanghai Tower, presents Mei Lanfang in one of her well-known role as the Royal Concubine Yang. In Beijing Opera, woman roles are usually presented by men. Mei Lanfang was the finest.
Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #3Mei Lanfang Garden,  photo #3
Mei Lanfang Garden, photo #3

This artistic, marble-statue of Royal Concubine Yang played by Mei Lanfang stands elegantly within a pond of the Mei Lanfang Garden. I continue to visit this garden regularly, and usually find myself as the lonely visitor. With the garden's extensive renovation, I will soon be able to share this wonderful scene with many other of Mei Lanfang's fans.



9th March 2008

Hi
Hey Schneider! Thank you so much for posting this entry... seeing posts like these always makes me realize how much there is to explore and that I have so much left to see while I'm here. Also, one of my favorite college roommates is an amazing violin player so I am definitely going to show her those pictures. Love always and sending you positive vibes, Sandra :)
9th March 2008

Great
That's an amazing new Taizhou. It seems that you explored it quite well. You are such an expert at photography, Hans. Cheers!
9th March 2008

Hans, what a tour of Taizhou!
Hans, this has been one of your most beautiful and enlightening entries! I can see that you'll be there for a long time, and I can certainly understand why. I'm so happy that you are going through this experience! Paul and I think about you often, and we both enjoy your photos and your observations. Danke, mein Freund! Coky
11th March 2008

Another wonderful blog, Hans!
Wow, Hans! A really spectacular effort with this blog. I'm suitably impressed- and I live here! I need to get my act together with my own blog. You're putting me to shame! Such wonderful memories I too will take with me when I depart, regretfully, in June. Such a privilege to have shared them with you , Stef and the myriad of friends I have made here, both local and foreign!
17th March 2008

Amazing, as always :D
18th March 2008

Golden collection
Hello, Hans. I have visited your blog. It look like a beautiful story. “Trust yourself.I can be just the one I wanna be ” You give me a new explanation.I will put it in my heart and give a plan to myself. Good luck my good friend Hans. ‹‚
21st July 2008

Thanks
Thank you for sending all these photos of the reality of China... better than the stuff from journalists!
25th October 2008

Dear Hans, I wonder if you´ve ever tried a ride on a man-powered riksha in China? In Taizhou, that´s one of the major transport means, particularly for people who want to save money or can´t afford a taxi. Showing some photos of those vehicles and their drivers (pedallers) may be interesting? (sorry, riksha photos might have been shown in this blog, as I'm unable to open photos beyond this page due to failure of my computer). And what about people who are still using those old public wells for washing-up? And those narrow old lanes (Gasse) hiding behind the brick houses, which are to be demolished soon?
25th October 2008

correct a word I´ve wrongly spellt: riksha------rickshaw
10th March 2010

Taizhou Teachers College
Hans-just stumbled upon your blog and photos of Taizhou. Looks like a nice place from the description and photos. Are you still teaching there? I am a native English speaker from the U.S. teaching in Thailand and looking at other options. Would like to teach in China but not sure where to go. If you are still at the university, do they need any English teachers? I have experience at university level here in Thailand. Peter
3rd August 2020
Christianity in Taizhou has a long history, dating to missionaries arriving after the floods of the 1930

Don't Be Fooled!
The doors are always locked. Even on Sunday.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb