#126 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Xinjiang & South Korea; Summer Travels 2010)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Inner Mongolia » Chifeng
November 20th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It has been months since my last TravelBlog entry, and for that I must apologize to all of you. My personal time this semester has been limited by the work with so many eager Chinese students, all wishing to spend extra time with me to practice their spoken English. But it is work and an experience I truly enjoy. My association and the interaction with my lovely students make me feel, that I ca... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 6: The weather adds to the depressive atmosphere along the DMZ.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 6: The weather adds to the depressive atmosphere along the DMZ.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 6: The weather adds to the depressive atmosphere along the DMZ.

The Highway between the city of Seoul and the DMZ leaves no doubt, that here, conflict can errupt at any time. Beyond the guard towers is a river, the border marking between North Korea and South Korea.
The Food Markets of South Korea #1The Food Markets of South Korea #1
The Food Markets of South Korea #1

The foods are varied and always fresh, though not always to my taste.
The Food Markets of South Korea #2The Food Markets of South Korea #2
The Food Markets of South Korea #2

Tentacles of Octopi are a special delicacy in South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 7: Court-life was simpler, than that of the palaces of China.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 7: Court-life was simpler, than that of the palaces of China.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 7: Court-life was simpler, than that of the palaces of China.

The palace grounds of Seoul, South Korea made for lovely walks. These spaces are carefully protected from the encroaching modernization and construction of South Korea's capital.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 8: Simple but elegant, and no shoes please!!SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 8: Simple but elegant, and no shoes please!!
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 8: Simple but elegant, and no shoes please!!

Interior rooms in the palace of Seoul, South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 9: Posing with nephew of Mr. Kim.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 9: Posing with nephew of Mr. Kim.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 9: Posing with nephew of Mr. Kim.

Entering the ancient palaces of Seoul, South Korea is made more realistic by palace guards, dressed in original and traditional attire.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 10: "YES, We are welcome", they tell us!SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 10: "YES, We are welcome", they tell us!
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 10: "YES, We are welcome", they tell us!

Guards at the entrance of the Royal Palace are pleased to pose for a picture.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 11: The Palace MuseumSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 11: The Palace Museum
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 11: The Palace Museum

Museum on the Palace grounds in the capital city of Seoul, South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 12: Christianity and Buddhism are the 2 main religions of South Korea.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 12: Christianity and Buddhism are the 2 main religions of South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 12: Christianity and Buddhism are the 2 main religions of South Korea.

The large Buddhist temple of Seoul, South Korea is frequented by the faithful and it is a gem, and dwarfed by the sky-scrapers of this huge city.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 13: Speedy transport for travellersSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 13: Speedy transport for travellers
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 13: Speedy transport for travellers

The famous High Speed Trains of South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 14: Pastoral Village of S.KoreaSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 14: Pastoral Village of S.Korea
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 14: Pastoral Village of S.Korea

Mountain village near the SE city of Kyungju in South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 15: So peaceful among the lush hills of S.Korea.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 15: So peaceful among the lush hills of S.Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 15: So peaceful among the lush hills of S.Korea.

View across a typical mountain village in South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 16: "I prefer this life, to that of the city".SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 16: "I prefer this life, to that of the city".
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 16: "I prefer this life, to that of the city".

Walking the paths into a mountain town of South Korea became another highlight of this special visit.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 17: View across the landscape of South Korea.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 17: View across the landscape of South Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 17: View across the landscape of South Korea.

In contrast to the wet and moody weather of Seoul, the South of the country enjoys a milder and more soothing climate.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 18: Ancient Observatory in Kyungju, S.KoreaSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 18: Ancient Observatory in Kyungju, S.Korea
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 18: Ancient Observatory in Kyungju, S.Korea

The ancient, stone, astonomy-observatory is a landmark of the historical city, Kyungju, in the SE of South Korea. Kyungju is known as the city of "Kings and Buddhas".
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 19: Ancient Tombs dot the city of Kyungju, S.KoreaSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 19: Ancient Tombs dot the city of Kyungju, S.Korea
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 19: Ancient Tombs dot the city of Kyungju, S.Korea

Within these tombs, and more than 100 sprinkle the city of Kyungju in South Korea, rest the remains of royalty. Only a few have been opened, and only one is accessable to visitors. What treasures and historical information are still contained and remain to be explored in this city of kings.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 20: The crown of a king.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 20: The crown of a king.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 20: The crown of a king.

A crown of gold is displayed within the tomb, only one of the hundreds of treasures found within.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 21: With my friends in a Buddhist Resort near Daegu, S.KoreaSOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 21: With my friends in a Buddhist Resort near Daegu, S.Korea
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 21: With my friends in a Buddhist Resort near Daegu, S.Korea

On the right is Mr. Kim's student from Taizhou Teachers College, who is now completing her studies in South Korea. On the left, Mr. Kim's kind and special friend, who offered his valuable time, to show us the surroundings of Daegu, S. Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 22: The Buddha, surrounded by the lush mountains of S.Korea.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 22: The Buddha, surrounded by the lush mountains of S.Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 22: The Buddha, surrounded by the lush mountains of S.Korea.

Giant marble statue of the Buddha in the mountian monestary resort, near Daegu, S. Korea.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 23: The foods of the monks will age in these large clay containers.SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 23: The foods of the monks will age in these large clay containers.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 23: The foods of the monks will age in these large clay containers.

Temples surround the mountains in most larger cities of South Korea. Traditional Foods are aged in the large containers, as they have been for hundreds of years.
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 24: SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 24:
SOUTH KOREA, PHOTO 24:

Mountain Carvings of the Buddha in South Korea. The climb to this gentle stone carving was somewhat precarious.



16th November 2010

Best regards
How are things going on? So you've traveld about most of China. It may very irritative! I was one of your studengts in Taizhou Teachers College, i try to send you email, but i found the email was wrong on the calling card. So if you have seen this comment, please contact me. Best regards!
16th November 2010

Journey
Perfect Journey! Thank you for sharing! I want to travel 2.
18th November 2010

Great to see you back in action!
Hi Hans, I really empathize with you over the unreliable computer connections!! Another great blog! Have been to Lanzhou and parts of Gansu, but I am yet to travel to Xinjiang and South Korea. Still thinking of visiting again next year via South Korea- Stef's invitation. Take care until then. Take heart- blogs are back in action1 Now, about my blogs....................................... Hugs Sue
18th November 2010

hello hans
hello,hans,i haven't to see you a long time? how are you all this time? Now I am in chengdu city of sichuan provence. are you still teaching in taizhou teacher college?
18th November 2010

travel
you are still so energetic!your holiday is quite amazing!
3rd December 2010

Best regards!
Hello,hans, glad to read your blog again and to see you are fine, wonderful travels again, hope everything is well for you!
18th February 2012

Great photos, expecially Kashgar. Question?
I am glad you persevered and uploaded your photos. They are very nicely done and give me a clue for my own photos of Kashgar later this morning. How did you do your route map? I would like to make one of my own. Thank you.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb