#126 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Xinjiang & South Korea; Summer Travels 2010)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Inner Mongolia » Chifeng
November 20th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It has been months since my last TravelBlog entry, and for that I must apologize to all of you. My personal time this semester has been limited by the work with so many eager Chinese students, all wishing to spend extra time with me to practice their spoken English. But it is work and an experience I truly enjoy. My association and the interaction with my lovely students make me feel, that I ca... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 3: Apricots are dried, and are lovingly turned in the sun, one by one.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 3: Apricots are dried, and are lovingly turned in the sun, one by one.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 3: Apricots are dried, and are lovingly turned in the sun, one by one.

Xinjiang is known for its delicious and sweet fruits. Not far from Kashgar, in small villages, where time has has stood still for the centuries, women with their children turn each individual apricot in the sun to dry naturally in the hot summer sun of S.W. Xinjiang.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 4: Village Children near Kashgar, XinjiangBEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 4: Village Children near Kashgar, Xinjiang
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 4: Village Children near Kashgar, Xinjiang

The poverty and disparity in wealth in developing China becomes obvious, when I travel and visit the surrounding villages of Kashgar.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 5: Invited into the home of a local Villager near Kashgar.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 5: Invited into the home of a local Villager near Kashgar.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 5: Invited into the home of a local Villager near Kashgar.

This truly friendly man, who had just lost his wife, invited me into his humble home.
 BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 6: Ready to sell me their best sheep at the local bazaar BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 6: Ready to sell me their best sheep at the local bazaar
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 6: Ready to sell me their best sheep at the local bazaar

Life-stock, especially sheep, wait patiently with their owners for a buyer. Of course, in this Muslim Region of China, few pigs can be seen.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 7: He was so proud to pose with his flock of sheep at a village bazaar.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 7: He was so proud to pose with his flock of sheep at a village bazaar.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 7: He was so proud to pose with his flock of sheep at a village bazaar.

Though Kashgar has by far the largest weekly bazaar, I found the surrounding villages had the most colorful and least tourist-oriented bazaars.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 8: The kind and smiling faces of Xinjiang.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 8: The kind and smiling faces of Xinjiang.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 8: The kind and smiling faces of Xinjiang.

China has more than 55 official minorities, in the varies expanse of this ancient country. The Uighurs are the most influential minority of Xinjiang, and certainly the region of surrounding Kashgar. They practice their Muslim faith and traditions with pride and joy, yet not all is as well as their happy and proud faces might portray. The news has been filled with the triles and tribulations of this troubled region.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 9: Villagers help each other with a "close" shave.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 9: Villagers help each other with a "close" shave.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 9: Villagers help each other with a "close" shave.

There was no shaving cream, and water is at a premium, so the shave was a dry shave. The knives in the area are known for their sharpness. I was invited to be the next "victim" !!!!!
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 10: The friendly faces of Villagers near Kashgar, XinjiangBEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 10: The friendly faces of Villagers near Kashgar, Xinjiang
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 10: The friendly faces of Villagers near Kashgar, Xinjiang

We could not communicate with words, but the smiles made me feel at home in their humble surroundings.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 11: The children of Xinjiang are also the children of China.BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 11: The children of Xinjiang are also the children of China.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 11: The children of Xinjiang are also the children of China.

This young man never left my side, from the moment I stepped into this remote village of Xinjiang.
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 12: "Mor" Buddhist Stupa dates from the Tang DynastyBEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 12: "Mor" Buddhist Stupa dates from the Tang Dynasty
BEYOND KASHGAR, PHOTO 12: "Mor" Buddhist Stupa dates from the Tang Dynasty

Dating back some 1,500 years, little remains of this ancient site in the desert, 20 miles NE of Kashgar, and it is difficult to determine, what caused the demise of this once large Buddhist community. The physical deteriation is due the weather, and the sadly the day will come, when even these remaining ruins will disappear.
Kashi/Kashgar, Xinjiang will be the subject of a future TravelBlog entry. Kashi/Kashgar, Xinjiang will be the subject of a future TravelBlog entry.
Kashi/Kashgar, Xinjiang will be the subject of a future TravelBlog entry.

As my time is so limited now, and the Internet connections are a problem for me here, I hope to complete a more detailed TravelBlog entry on Kashgar, Xinjiang in the near future. I had already researched and written an extensive entry on Kashgar and was posting the Blog with over a hundred photos. It was lost in space half way through the slow and lengthy transmission process . Sorry.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #1Urumqi, Xinjiang #1
Urumqi, Xinjiang #1

The capitol of Xinjiang is Urumqi, a large and very quickly developing ancient city, situated along the Silk Road. It is a buzzling metropolis, where Muslim Minorities and Han Chinese live together in "uneasy" harmony, and at times, these different cultures clash.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #2Urumqi, Xinjiang #2
Urumqi, Xinjiang #2

Landmark Bazzar in the center of Urumqi, Xinjiang
Urumqi, Xinjiang #3Urumqi, Xinjiang #3
Urumqi, Xinjiang #3

Urumqi is a dessert Oasis city, lush and exotic. Much money and effort are obvious throughout the city, to help stabalize the disperity of the social classes in Xinjiang, an important move to maintain the "harmony" of a unified China.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #3Urumqi, Xinjiang #3
Urumqi, Xinjiang #3

The streets of Urumqi are dotted with hundreds of beautiful mosques.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #4Urumqi, Xinjiang #4
Urumqi, Xinjiang #4

I am standing on top of Hongshan Park, the highest point in the center of Urumqi. Its most famous monument is a small, 300 year old red Pagoda, seen in the background.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #5Urumqi, Xinjiang #5
Urumqi, Xinjiang #5

In Urumqi, Buddhism and Islam have stood the test of time. Both have found their way into China along the Ancient Silk Road.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #6Urumqi, Xinjiang #6
Urumqi, Xinjiang #6

Testing a traditional Yighur Instrument in the parks of Urumqi.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #7Urumqi, Xinjiang #7
Urumqi, Xinjiang #7

Traditional Bread Oven in the streets of Urumqi.
Urumqi, Xinjiang #8Urumqi, Xinjiang #8
Urumqi, Xinjiang #8

The bread is fresh and delicious.
A visit to Turpan, Xinjiang  #1A visit to Turpan, Xinjiang  #1
A visit to Turpan, Xinjiang #1

The most recognizable structure in Turpan, Xinjiang is IMIN TA, an Iranian-style mosque.



16th November 2010

Best regards
How are things going on? So you've traveld about most of China. It may very irritative! I was one of your studengts in Taizhou Teachers College, i try to send you email, but i found the email was wrong on the calling card. So if you have seen this comment, please contact me. Best regards!
16th November 2010

Journey
Perfect Journey! Thank you for sharing! I want to travel 2.
18th November 2010

Great to see you back in action!
Hi Hans, I really empathize with you over the unreliable computer connections!! Another great blog! Have been to Lanzhou and parts of Gansu, but I am yet to travel to Xinjiang and South Korea. Still thinking of visiting again next year via South Korea- Stef's invitation. Take care until then. Take heart- blogs are back in action1 Now, about my blogs....................................... Hugs Sue
18th November 2010

hello hans
hello,hans,i haven't to see you a long time? how are you all this time? Now I am in chengdu city of sichuan provence. are you still teaching in taizhou teacher college?
18th November 2010

travel
you are still so energetic!your holiday is quite amazing!
3rd December 2010

Best regards!
Hello,hans, glad to read your blog again and to see you are fine, wonderful travels again, hope everything is well for you!
18th February 2012

Great photos, expecially Kashgar. Question?
I am glad you persevered and uploaded your photos. They are very nicely done and give me a clue for my own photos of Kashgar later this morning. How did you do your route map? I would like to make one of my own. Thank you.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb