Spicy Girl


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hunan
August 22nd 2005
Published: August 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

She’s here! Whoo-hoo! Sarah’s finally come home…and mommy and daddy couldn’t be happier. Sarah, on the other hand, could have been. She’s been crying off and on ever since we got on the bus to return to the hotel, and it was only in the past few hours that she’s calmed down and seemed to be at peace. Right now she’s sleeping, and she’s just absolutely adorable. We just love looking at her! 

The meeting actually started off much better than we expected. We walked into the room with a lot of excitement, and saw her immediately among 3 other girls. We weren’t sure if she was ours, since I (Godfrey) mistakenly heard that the few girls in the room were from a different province than Sarah’s. But then our guide called out our name and in no time at all, Sarah was in Stacey’s arms. She immediately took to Stacey and laid peacefully in her arms as the room began to fill with the deafening din of other crying babies meeting their new mommies and daddies. But through it all, Sarah stayed pretty calm; that is, until she got on the bus. By then, all the other babies had cried their eyes out and were quiet as lambs. So, naturally, it was Sarah’s turn to roar! She was almost inconsolable, and for the next hour or two back at the hotel, she was alternating between fits of anguish and spells of quiet brooding.

It was only when she discovered the colorful stacking cups that she became the peaceful little girl that we’ve been hoping to see. We think that she might have had the same toy back at the orphanage, so it was something familiar. In any case, she’s gotten to really enjoy them, and has learned how to stack them, which was pretty amazing to us.

Sarah was dressed in some old sandals and a matching yellow outfit (complete with split pants). We discovered later on that her shirt had a crew neck that was so tight that we could barely get it off over her head. Removing the shirt was most stress we’ve had so far—having her head stuck in her collar while both mom and dad struggled to get it off! She also had on some strange diapers…which were fastened around her waist with an elastic cord. We think she was pretty happy to get them off.

One of her most adorable characteristics is her need for hugs. She loves to hold onto Stacey, and seeks her out for comfort when she’s not feeling well. It’s just so heart-warming. She hasn’t, however, gone for me yet, but she’ll tolerate me hanging around, taking pictures of her, and feeding her Gerber’s fruit puffs (thanks Yvonne for the idea). She does look for me and will acknowledge me when Stacey says “Ba ba”, so it’s a good start, we think.

One thing for which we are so thankful is that the orphanage presented to us the note that was left with her by her birth mother. It’s a small note on red paper that indicates her date of birth. It looks like nothing of consequence, but it holds great meaning, representing an important part of her history.

Our guide (who was born in Hunan) told us about how girls born in the province are affectionately known as “spicy girls”, because the cuisine of Hunan is so centered on hot peppers. Sarah, though, is pretty mild-mannered and would be a green bell pepper, at best, on the chili pepper scale! We like to think of her as a “sweetie”. 

Well, we’re getting a bit tired here so we’ll sign off for now. Hope you all are doing well, and for you Mexico teamers, we can’t wait to hear how the trip went. We’ve been pr—ing for you all!


Advertisement



22nd August 2005

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!
Sarah is absolutely gorgeous! And, Mommy and Sarah look wonderful together! We praise God for all of you! Daddy, don't worry, Sarah will go to "ba-ba", that's a guarantee! We can't wait to see all 3 of you together in person! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!!!
22nd August 2005

Family!
Yay!!!! So cute! This is so great and we are so happy for you! Thanks for all the updates so we can feel like we're right there with you. Know that we are thinking of you and supporting you all the way! Thanks G!
22nd August 2005

Little Sarah is SO adorable! So obviously meant to be your darling daughter. You just look like you were meant to be together! As soon as Karah saw the pictures, she said, "Look! The stacking cups!" She can't wait to play with them togethe with Sarah. Thanks for the updates. We can't to see you all in person!
22nd August 2005

YAY!
YAY! Daddy's good to us.
22nd August 2005

HEY awww
HEY godfrey, stacey, and SARAH!! aww i'm so happy for all of you! Just got back from an amazing week in Mexico last night. We'll have lots of stories for you when you get back! We've been missing you. Mr. Kawa has a really high-tech phone, so he read us your blog in the car yesterday. We were all "00hh"-ing and "aww"-ing. Come back soon. I'll keep on reading and you keep on writing! Love, kat
22nd August 2005

Congratulations!!
Hey Godfrey and Stacey!!! I'm soo happy for u!! Sarah is ADORABLE!! I cant wait to see all three of back home safely!! I'll be p---ing for you guyz!!! love, Jeanette
22nd August 2005

How wonderful! For those of us that have kids, the sense of anticipation when you first see your child is too wonderful to describe! Godfrey, don't feel too bad about her not taking to you yet! That should come soon!! I wrote an email to you about our Mexican trip! I also worshipped at the BIF back in March of this year when I was in Beijing!
22nd August 2005

Sarah's Yous Now!
WOW!! After months of preperation, you finally have SARAH!!^-^ And the pictures are just simply adoreable!!! We all can't wait to see her here in Palos Verdes!!
23rd August 2005

awwwwwwwww!!!!!
AWWWWWWWWW!! She's so cute!! I'm so glad you are all together now! I can't wait for you guys to come home and see you all in person!! I'm thinking of you all!
23rd August 2005

Overflowing praise!
"I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live . . . Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yes, our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you." - Psalm 116:1-2, 5-7 Our hearts are filled with so much JOY for you and PRAISE to our God. To see Sarah with you now after so many prayers, tears and hours of waiting is truly the greatest testament to God's abundant love and faithfulness. THANK YOU for sharing this greatest of joys with us!!!!!!!!!!! -love always, Karen, Eric, Nathan and Joel
23rd August 2005

congratulations
Congratulations Ba Ba, Ma Ma and baby Sarah, She looks so much like Stacey no wonders she bonds with Ma Ma immediately. Well, Ba Ba, be patient...you will get there. We can't wait for your return and get to meet Sarah. We've enjoy your logging, and great pictures. Congrtualations again.....get some sleep.... love, AYS
23rd August 2005

amazing...it brings true joy to my face to see you finally united w/ Sarah! she's beautiful....i'm just amazed at how awesome G is in this whole process and how he has orchestrated all of these things to ultimately be for his glory. woooo i'm so happy for you both, for all three of you. she's so precious and is already loved so much!
24th August 2005

woot woot!
I'm glad she cries! There are many babies in orphanages that don't cry...I can't wait to meet her! Our Dad is so good to us! Will talk with Dad about the three of you later today and thank Him for all He's done!
2nd September 2005

a picture is worth a thousand words
His timing is good and perfect. Such precious photos of a singularly indescribable moment. Grace poured out on us...love you all..all 3 of you!

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb