Arrival in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hangzhou
June 25th 2009
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After spending a couple days in Bangkok getting Brian's passport and visas worked out, we flew from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. We arrived in KL around 11pm but it took us 3 hours to find a room for the night. The hotel that we were planning on staying at was fully booked so we had to go a bit further from the airport than originally planned. Our flight the next morning was very early, so we were only at the hotel for about 3 hours before heading back to the airport. I think it would have been a better idea to just have slept at the airport for a couple of hours, but after what happened in Thailand we are both a little paranoid about keeping ourselves and our stuff safe. The flight to Hangzhou was pretty uneventful until we actually landed and I got my temperature scanned an unnecessary amount of times because I am a foreigner. Most people on our flight were either Chinese or Malaysian so I definitely stood out a bit, and they asked me a lot of questions about my possible exposure to H1N1 before finally letting us off of the plane. We found a great hotel right off of West Lake and went out to explore the gardens surrounding the lake. It was very picturesque and I was glad that I had picked up a new camera in Bangkok. Hangzhou is a really cool city located about 2 hours to the SW of Shanghai. The neighborhood we stayed in reminded me a lot of Georgetown or State Street. There is a prestigious university nearby and it had a real "college-town" feel to it. We walked to Leifeng Pagoda but by the time we got there it had started raining so we headed back to our hotel. The next morning we got packed up and took the train into Shanghai. Arriving in Shanghai was pretty stressful as we got dropped right in the middle of a busy area of the city. We couldn't find the right metro line, so we ended up taking a cab to Donghua University where I will be staying and studying for the next 2 months. That afternoon we moved in, took placement exams and started orientation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



25th June 2009

hooray!
hooray for kyle! glad you made it to your spot. im surprised you didnt mention the language barrier being as much of a problem as i thought it would be. but those pictures are awesome keep taking many and uploading them for my viewing pleasure. im jealous you get to hang out in/near pagodas. i miss you michael phelps.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb