Yangshou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi
August 18th 2012
Published: August 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I have suddenly moved from north China to south China (by plane). The scenery is very different here to anything I have seen in north China. This is an area of karst limestone towers and it looks just like the picture books. We arrived here at the mountain retreat which is by the Yulong river to see all the rafts with their colourful parasols passing by the hotel. Our room has a view to the river and the karst towers. We joined rafts for a gentle ride on the Yulong river sailing gently past the bamboo and the willows. The Chinese love taking photographs and being photographed and where there are little weirs to descend there is a small enterprise of taking and printing photographs of each raft to sell. After the raft trip our driver took us to moon hill. It is called moon hill because of the moon shaped hole at the top. Through the hole there was a good view down to the karst scenery below. There was time in the afternoon to explore the busy main street in Yangshuo. For me the highlight in the town was the vegetarian restaurant called Lotus with beautifully presented and tasty food.

Advertisement



20th August 2012

That looks absolutely wonderful. It reminded me of Halong Bay in Vietnam (another place with dramatic limestone karsts), which made quite an impression on me last year. I hope all is well!

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb