Sacred way and Ming tombs


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 17th 2012
Published: August 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Driving north from Beijing we passed the 2008 olympic park with the birds nest stadium and the water cube. The water cube has now been turned into a water theme park. The birds nest takes some time to drive around, showing what a massive structure it is.

The sacred way was built as a processional for the tombs of thirteen of the Ming emperors. The route is lined with animals, for example lions, camels, followed bya civil officials standing very stiffly opposite each other on eachside of the way. The Ming tomb we visited was the Ding Ling (sounds like some kind of bell rather than a tomb!). The tomb was locked by a marble self locking door. It is a long descent to the tomb where there is just a collection of red metal boxes, said to be the tombs.

Weaware treated to a visit to the great wall at Mutinayu, rather than Badaling. At Mutinayu there is the additional attraction of a ski lift ride up to the wall and a toboggan ride down. I chose the toboggan ride down - good fun on the turns, but the signs kept advising to SLOW DOWN. It was fast enough for me to use the brake a few times.

The photos are of the sacred way and Mum walking on the great wall.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb