Tibetan Grasslands


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Lanzhou
October 20th 2006
Published: October 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all
The great wall was very very impressive. Very steep in some areas so quite a lot of exercise that day.The weather had that China haze thing happening so we couldnt see very far into the distance.

We then had the joy of overnight train from Beijing to Xian which is one of the oldest cities in China (?3000Yrs). The train was brand new so it caught on fire just a little which was a bit exciting fo r a while. However we survived but with very little sleep.

Xian has a 36km wall around it which in some ways is better than the great wall - there is more to see from the top. On sunny days you can hire bikes and ride the circuit but it was rainy on our day so we just walked.

Xian is the place where the Terracotta Warriors are which were also amazing - the guy who discovered them - 80+yo Mr Yung was there - our guide seemed very exciting about this. He just looked like an old Chinese guy to us.

Food to date has been fabulous. We wont be losing any weight on this China leg.

Next day was another overnight train - older and much bumpier but no fire this time - ever less sleep though.

Next a 6+hr drive up to 2900m - our guide suggested 3L water intake that day to prrevent altitude probs - however - no toilets so lots of peeing in the Chinese countryside that day.

So now we are in Labrong which is in the Tibetan grasslands. There is a 300yo monastery here. The weather and people are beautiful. Will write again as soon as able. Not a lot of technology in this neck of the woods - except all the tibetan nomads have v snazzy mobile phones.

Oh - you should see the beautiful clothes they wear up here - will explain next time - there is a line up for the computer

Seeyou, M and C


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th December 2006

LOVE the shoe shot - can't wait to see your pics when you get home. Love to you both xxx

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb