The“Impression of Wulong”, a Fresh and Highly Sentimental Show


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing » Chongqing
September 16th 2019
Published: September 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

When I first saw it, there was a girl next to me crying throughout the show. Moved by this girl and the enthusiasm of the audience, I became emotional as well, especially in the scene of the “Crying Marriage”: “Cry, just for this day and no more crying afterwards.” The“Impression of Wulong” earned both the tickets of the audience and the tears.

During the show, they washed their feet in a waterless tub. Although you couldn’t see their face, you could still feel their mix of joy and fear before marriage. They sang, “Oh, my father and my mother, only when I marry can I understand your adversity.” Then they walked slowly out of the hallway and began their marriage journey with a shy dance. Finally, a bride in a red dress humbled herself and laid down in front of a red diamond. This was the most impressive image of the whole scene, showing the true beauty of the Chongqing girl.

Why is it called “Crying Marriage”? In our daily life marriage is normally a happy thing. In this performance, however, the point is to present the cultural aspect. According to legend, this custom originated in the Warring States period. The princess of the state of Zhao got married in the state of Yan and became a queen. Her mother held on to her heels and cried when she left, hoping that she would not return and would live a happy life in Yan. This is the origin of the “Crying Marriage” custom. This custom was still prevalent in the rural areas of Sichuan in the late Qing dynasty. In the late 1980s, the Han region in the northern mountainous areas of Sichuan province still had this custom as well.

In the old days, a “Crying Marriage” had many purposes. It was a way to thank parents for their concern and brothers and sisters for their care. It also helped to express sorrow for the end of the carefree girlhood and the confusion and unknown of the new married life. In addition, it was used to convey the dissatisfaction and hatred of arranged marriages.

The“ Impression of Wulong” presents not only the history and culture of Ba(Chongqing used to be called Ba), but also the art forms and lifestyles that are on the verge of disappearing. The collision between modern and traditional culture encourages more personal reflection and calls for the salvaging of said traditional culture before it’s too late and it’s lost forever.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb