Planes and Automobiles


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

MountainsMountainsMountains

View from Plane over Seattle
Day One.....or is it Two

Our trip started off as usual me running around trying to get everything done and Rich at his computer saying "Ten More Minutes...........Ten More Minutes".

Finally the Limo driver arrived to take us to the airport and some how Rich was packed and dressed. The man literally packed one hour before departure. Off to the airport we go. Getting to the gate was non eventful which is a feat in it self. We made some changes to our seats because we were not sitting together and Rich did not get the upgrade that he had hoped for. So Rich in his gallant manor sat in the middle and reminded me how much he must love me to have done so the entire way to Seattle Washington. Once in Seattle we had a two hour layover before we headed to Beijing. We took advantage of the last time we may see food we recognize and had a quesadia and a drink.

It finally was time to board the plane for the next eleven hours. We were elated that we had two seats together in the bunker area. The elation quickly faded when I realized
BedBedBed

Finally
that the arm rest between us did not pull up and we had no window. This was going to be a long trip. Let's just say that I strongly contemplated writing Delta to explain to them planes that were made in the 80's probably should not be used for trips to Asia. But I gave it a second thought when I realized 1) I was flying free on miles and 2) I may be some what spoiled....not rotten just a little spoiled. So we suffered through the next eleven hours. When we landed we unfolded ourselves and headed out of the capsule.

Rich had explained to me on the plane that we should not worry because the Hotel had arranged for a driver to pick us up and drive us directly to the hotel. All I wanted was a shower, a glass of water and a bed. So as we made our way to immigration we saw the length of the lines and realized this was not going to be a quick process. We chose our line and proceeded to wait and watch every other line move along fairly rapidly as ours moved at the speed of molasses on a cold day. Of course the last thing anyone would want to do is complain when in line to enter China. Finally the kind gentleman called us to the desk and proceeded to look at us, look down at our passport, have me take off my glasses look again and finally stamp me through. He looked at Rich's passport looked again, asked to see mine again and said our last names were not the same somehow Rich's passport had put a space between the e and the L and mine was correct. He let us through and then a little button came on saying Rate My Service....ok we will pass up on pushing any buttons right now that rate the service of the nice gentleman with all the badges that can keep us out of China.

We then proceeded to get our bags and followed the crowd and I do mean CROWD making our way out of the airport. We looked at all the drivers holding signs and finally found a gentleman with a sign that said Mr. Richard James DeLuca. He proceeds to shake hid head and show me sign again we shake heads again and follow him through a labyrinth of parking lots with beeping horns everywhere. We finally arrive at his car exhausted from the smog and carrying our bags through the parking lots of Beijing. Maybe this should have been a first clue.

We settle into his car which is a nice Buick Regal with all the bells and whistles and proceed on to our hotel.
Remember, all we wanted was a shower, some water and a bed. We are excited to be on our away. The trip began uneventful except that we felt like we were at the Atlanta Motor Speedway weaving in and out of traffic passing semi trailers carrying what appears to be construction materials tipping from their trailers. We spotted many with no tail or head lights. After about a 45 minute trek we pull up to a toll booth, the driver proceeds to roll down his window and begins communicating with the toll booth operator that is behind bars. The conversation goes on for upwards of twenty minutes getting more heated as time goes on. Rich begins to lose his patience, but I calmed him right down when I said "This is great stuff, for my blog". Gosh you should have seen the pride in his eyes. Finally the driver gives the toll operator some cash and we move along, that is until we reach the next toll and the toll after that. It has now been upwards of an hour and after three tolls, three "conversations" it appears that we are heading back to the airport!

We proceed to travel in the opposite direction again weaving in and out of lanes passing trucks at one point we thought we were going to become the peanut butter between two large semi trailers carrying cement. After another 40 minutes the driver sees our hotel in the distance and begins to gesture to us that here is our hotel right in front of us. He uses his hands to "present" this spectacular view to us. He was so proud of himself. Rich did a very good job at keeping his pride to himself. We finally realized that all the conversations with the toll booth operators were his attempt to tell them since he would be turning around he should not have to pay the tolls!

It is now three hours since we landed in Beijing and we are finally going to see a bed and maybe get something to eat. The hotel is a beautiful modern hotel with every convenience possible. The only issue is that it is in the area called the BDA (Beijing Developing Area) you notice I said developing and not Developed. More to come about that later. We ordered some fried rice and chicken satay, let's just say I might become a vegetarian while on this trip. Good night all, pleasant dreams.

Advertisement



9th July 2010

Yikes! If you and Rich had to unfold yourselves to exit the plane, I can't imagine how it would've been for Tim and me! Sounds like it can only get better from this point! Enjoy!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb