Holy Hutong Batman


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 29th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: NoodleLoft 56 secs
PedicabsPedicabsPedicabs

At the starting line...
We ventured into a hutong during our last day in Beijing. A hutong is a old city alley with narrow streets and court yard homes. Didi and I had actually visited this part of Old Beijing in 2006 but did not go into the hutong. this time, we had the opportunity to visit with a home owner and enter their home (for a fee of course 😊 ). Along with the tour was a walk through the old city bell tower. The bell, and partner drum tower, were used to tell the city what time it was. In the morning, bell performances noted AM time and drums in PM. These date back to the 1200's and are just north of the Forbidden City which is 200 years younger. Finally, we saw Prince Gong's mansion from the 1700's. His mansion is like a mini Forbidden City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hutong ResidenceHutong Residence
Hutong Residence

A high ranking military residence
In the court yardIn the court yard
In the court yard

Visiting with the family we met during our tour. Henry Kissinger is among their guests.
Water GamesWater Games
Water Games

This is a game within the Mansion of Prince Gong. Water used to flow through the channel and carry a glass...if the glass stopped by you, you drank...


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb