The Forbidden City, Peking Duck, and Shopping Mania


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last Thursday, Pachi and I had the good fortune of being able to travel to Beijing in style to see just a few of the countless sights. Kathy, a young woman from the Phillipines visiting her friend--and James'--Raymond had arranged to visit the capital and set-up a car, driver, and interpreter to see the famous Forbidden City, to go out for the city's best-known dish, and to do some shopping.

THE FORBIDDEN CITY
Sitting adjacent to Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City is a massive complex that housed emperors and was the center of the Chinese dynastic universe for centuries. It's hard to imagine it just a few decades ago, before China opened itself up to outside tourism. The crush of tens of thousands of visitors and tourist groups almost overwhelms the grandure of this great place.

Because of time constraints and the fact that Kathy, on her last day in the country, needed to squeeze some last-minute shopping in, we kind of had to fly through the Forbidden City in just a couple of hours instead of the half-day that it probably calls-for in order to properly take it in and appreciate. I was at times literally running to keep up with the head of our group, snapping picture after picture and then just about sprinting. As a result, I still haven't really wrapped my mind around the place and hope to go back and take my time drinking it all in.

Having said that, it was a place of stunning beauty with centuries of history around every corner. The scale of the site was massive, and the detail found in the structures, sculptures, doors and roofs was fascinating. I hope I can go back.

PEKING ROASTED DUCK
After working up a hardy appetite sprinting and fighting the tourist hordes, we were ready for a little Peking duck, practically the national dish and only found in its authentic form in Beijing. The Quanjude restaurant has been specializing in it since 1864, its elegant 4 floors of dining areas seem regularly full, and pictures of Deng and Mao dining with Nixon, Kissinger, and other foriegn dignitaries testify to the swankiness of the joint. The duck was sublime, a real treat.

SHOPPING
The shopping was insane. We spent several hours in Silk Street Market, a six-story building filled with booths selling fake anything you can imagine, clothes to purses, luggage to art. If you can seriously haggle, the prices can be outrageously cheap for 'name-brand' items that you'd have a hard time telling that they were knock-offs.

I'll have to pause here because we're off to Beijing again for a day and a half and then on the train and on to Shanghai for about 4 more. I'm trying my best to keep-up with the blog in spite of a very busy travel schedule, occasionally slow internet connections, and stomach problems. Onward-ho!

We'll check back in soon,
Shaun


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



16th July 2007

Finally, computer available......
I have loved reading your enteries............enjoyed it all, especially the Forbidden City, the images of the sweet children and of course you and Pachi. Today is Sunday...where are you now? Wish I were with you two altho I have had a great visit with the extended family. Being here for 12 days, you go beyond the mere superficial talk, and get caught up in their real everyday rythmn. Robby is getting stronger each day. I have seen all the sisters which I loved and all the neices and nephews except Gail's who are in Chicago. Enjoy each precious moment together. Love to you both, mom

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb