Temple of Heaven


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Temple of Heaven
February 18th 2010
Published: March 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Round AlterRound AlterRound Alter

This alter is 5m high and its geometry revolves around the number 9. Odd numbers symbolized heaven in 1530 when this was built. I don't know why.
We were in no rush today. Our train was leaving at 9:30 tonight and we only had one thing left to see - the Temple of Heaven. We slept in a bit, had breakfast at our hotel again, and then took the metro to the Temple. Beijing is handy that way. Nearly ever major tourist attraction has a metro stop named after it.

It was crowded. Surprise, surprise. The Temple of Heaven is not an active temple. It is a museum now. A huge museum that is larger than the Forbidden City if you include the gardens. The actual buildings are not quite as impressive though, but it is well worth a visit for only 35 RMB each. The gardens are beautiful and so is the architecture.

The Temple of Heaven was originally built in the 1400 and 1500's. Much of it has been reconstructed since the 1800's due to fire or some other type of damage. It is beautifully restored. It includes a 267 hectare park with a gate at each compass point, so it is difficult to get lost. The temple got its name because it was originally the place where the Son of Heaven who performed solemn rites and prayed for good harvests and atonement for the sins of the people. I don't know what is meant by Son of Heaven. The temple halls are round and their bases are square. This symbolizes heaven and earth. Round earth - okay, I get that. Square heaven? Mmm, you lost me.

Many sections of the temple were crowded enough to make me want to run away, but I tried to be a good sport because of Enis. He's much more patient with crowds than I am. We enjoyed the visit. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

We went back to Qianmen Street and grabbed a bite to eat at KFC, then had a Starbucks, then took the metro to the Beijing South train station which is the cleanest, nicest, most luxurious public transport building I have ever entered. It was cleaner than Seoul's airport and had real chairs arranged attractively for waiting. Our train was boarding, so we didn't even get to sit down, but I was so impressed with this train station.

I was equally impressed with the train. We got soft sleepers and shared our berth with a nice Chinese couple. The train was new, clean, and very comfortable. Each bed has its own flat screen TV and headphones. Honestly, I dreaded this train ride, but we had no choice. It turned out to be really great and we saved money on a hotel!

This brings our trip to Beijing to an end. It was a great trip with great weather and great company.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Round Alter replicaRound Alter replica
Round Alter replica

This replica is really stunning.
Enis and the Round AlterEnis and the Round Alter
Enis and the Round Alter

It doesn't look too crowded in this picture, but it was. Seeing anything inside the other nearby halls was nearly impossible.
StoveStove
Stove

This huge wood stove was used to burn something, but I forget exactly what. I know it wasn't for animals. I think it was for special scrolls of some kind.
Giant stovesGiant stoves
Giant stoves

These are also stoves used to burn wood for special ceremonies I think.
CrowdsCrowds
Crowds

See what I mean? It really was crowded, but I hear this is actually not too bad compared to the truly high season in summer.
Goodbye BeijingGoodbye Beijing
Goodbye Beijing

One last view of Qianmen Street before we leave. Bye Beijing!


29th March 2010

nice to read the blog.. by the way as i know, it's round heaven, square earth lol. is that make more sense.. and the temple of heaven was only open for emperor like forbidden city, so it's not like a buddist temple or other public temples..

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb