#99 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Thoughts on China's Tragic Earthquake, and my most recent visit to the 29th Olympic City, Beijing)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
May 28th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Throughout history, there have been a multitude of catastrophies, in which animals have given us warnings of impending disasters. One recent tragedy, that stands out in my mind, is the "great tsunami" in Indonesia only a few years ago. Elephants in large numbers, to the surprise of the inhabitants, stampeded toward higher grounds as the monster sea-waves approached the shores. The people of the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #9In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #9
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #9

In contrast, what will this little girl learn about her China of the past, and what will be her place in the China of her future?
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #10In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #10
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #10

Generations of Chinese take pride in their capitol, and no visit would be complete without an obligatory photo near Tian'anmen Square, where Chairman Mao proclaimed the People's Republic of China in 1949.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #11In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #11
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #11

No other structure anywhere in China is more photographed than Tian'anmen Gate. No symbol speaks more to the hopes, the Chinese have for their continued hope of continued, future, national stability.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #12In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #12
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #12

A lone western tourist struggles with a vendor over the sale of a small Chinese flag. No matter how small a sale, the obligatory bargaining takes time and frustrates. The experienced vendor will always be the winner in any sale.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #13In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #13
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #13

Opposite Tian'anmen Gate stands Chairman Mao's Mausoleum, newly and carefully renovated and once again open to the public.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #14In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #14
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #14

The building contains the embalmed body of Chairman Mao. His casket, raised from its refrigerated chamber, is on view mornings and afternoon. Visitors line up early, and patiently wait in lines that can stretch up to 3 hours.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #15In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #15
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #15

Soldiers from the Peoples Liberation Army stand at attention, and carefully guard the remains of the founder of the PRC.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #16In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #16
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #16

Mao's Mausoleum is flanked on all sides by revolutionary statues.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #17In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #17
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #17

This massive "Monument to the People's Heroes" occupies the center of Tian'anmen Square. It was erected in 1958, and is decorated with bas-reliefs of episodes from China's revolutionary history and calligraphy from Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #18In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #18
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #18

The Great Hall of the People seats China's legislature. The vast auditorium and banqueting halls are open for part of the day, except when the National People's Congress is in session.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #19In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #19
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #19

On the opposite end of Tian'anmen Square, beyond Mao's Mausoleum, stand the Arrow Tower or Jian Lou, and first built during the Ming Dynasty.
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #20In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #20
In and around Tian'anmen Square, Photo #20

This impressive tower is also located just behind the mausoleum and is known as the Zhengyan Men. This tower formed a double gate and now houses a museum on the history of Beijing.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #1St. Joseph's Church, Photo #1
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #1

A very surprising find was St. Joseph's Church, located to the East of Tian'anmen Square and only a 15 minute walk through the Hutong streets of the old city.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #2St. Joseph's Church, Photo #2
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #2

St. Joseph's Church is an impressive triple-domed construction. It is the city's most important churches, and has recently been restored at a cost of over $2 million.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #3St. Joseph's Church, Photo #3
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #3

The cathedral was built in 1655, on the site of the former residence of Jesuit Adam Schall von Bell, who lived from 1591-1669. Its front is graced by an open courtyard and three arched gateways.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #4St. Joseph's Church, Photo #4
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #4

Following the example of Jesuit Matteo Ricci, Adam Schall von Bell, during the 17th Century, impressed the emperor with his scientific knowledge, and became a welcome guest at the emperor's court and an honored Beijing resident of the time.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #5St. Joseph's Church, Photo #5
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #5

Beautiful and colorful rose-gardens stretch the length of the impressive cathedral. The doors were open, and I was greeted by a Chinese priest.
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #6St. Joseph's Church, Photo #6
St. Joseph's Church, Photo #6

The East Cathedral has been rebuilt several times, having been destroyed by earthquake, fire, and again during the Boxer Rebellion. During my visit, the courtyard was heavely used by a score of skate-boarders.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #1The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #1
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #1

One of the most striking modern buildings within the city center, just behind the Great Hall of the People, is the futuristic "Beijing National Grand Theater, another of city's striking and controversial, architectural wonders.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #2The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #2
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #2

The Great Hall of the people, itself a massive structure, dwarfs in size to this "bubble" of titanium and glass, as it rests on an artificial lake.
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #3The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #3
The Beijing National Grand Theater, Photo #3

Lake and structure seems as one, and walking its perimeter becomes an experience of awe. It has become one of Beijing most controversal buildings; I found it amazing.



30th May 2008

Thank you very much!
Hello,Hans,first of all,thank you for today`s wonderful speech.I learn a lot from your speech.You know,I like travelling very much,too.But now,I must pay all my attention to my study.So,I don`t have spare time to travel.Fortunately I can know many beautiful places of intrest by your pictures.Thank you!You are a good man.I love you.Wish you great happiness!
31st May 2008

it's always such a pleasure hearing from you!
31st May 2008

Hello Mr. Schneider, i really like your travel blog. I am one of the few germans who just visited your city to learn chinese. Thank you for the time there. It was a real pleasure. Reading your travelblog now is like being in Taizhou again. =)
1st June 2008

hello ,Mr.hance.I'm sorry,it's my first time to enter your blog.It's great,Thank you very much .Because of you ,i know the responsibility for a teacher is sacred. You are very good teacher .Thank you .
1st June 2008

God Bless China. God Bless you. I miss you. One of your beloved students.
5th June 2008

Amazing earthquake blog
Hans, You know that I check your blogs every now and then because I taught in Jiansu province also (Nanjing). Your blog was the first that I heard of the frogs. A Chinese visitor here in Atlanta said she had heard of un-natural events that seemed to presage the earthquake. I will let her know about your blog. Your pictures were the first I saw of the swimming arena. Amazing architecture! Thanks for all you write and photograph.
8th June 2008

Hey!
I'm sooo glad you're okay schneider. I still miss you so much. This was a really sad post, but I am glad to have heard about the earthquake from you. Though it's the first I've heard about the frogs. The buildings for the Olympics are amazing. I only wish I could go and see it for myself. Stay well, keep writing and your photos are amazing!
12th June 2008

I love China, I love Beijing,and you, of course^_^
28th June 2008

hello,Mr.Schneider
you are my eyes to the world, Coz I have not much money to travel around.i love you.i am your fans.
4th July 2008

Thank you !!
I'd like to shake hands with you ,however,the situation does not permit ^_^ by the way,are you now still in China or you have gone to America to spend your summer vocation? thank you for all the photos and the passeges you write!!it brings me happiness.
2nd September 2008

Thanks...
Thank you Herr Schneider for this blog. I have learned so much from China from you. It's such a beautiful country, I hope I can visit one day.

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb