#99 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Thoughts on China's Tragic Earthquake, and my most recent visit to the 29th Olympic City, Beijing)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
May 28th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Throughout history, there have been a multitude of catastrophies, in which animals have given us warnings of impending disasters. One recent tragedy, that stands out in my mind, is the "great tsunami" in Indonesia only a few years ago. Elephants in large numbers, to the surprise of the inhabitants, stampeded toward higher grounds as the monster sea-waves approached the shores. The people of the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #9Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #9
Bei Hai Park, Photo #9

Crossing a marble-bridge, we pass through a number of additional ancient temples. We are then ready to climb the steep stairs, 118-ft up Jade Hill, and, out of breath, aim to reach the fabled "White Dagoba".
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #10Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #10
Bei Hai Park, Photo #10

The beauty and size of the "White Dagoba" is stunning, and is surrounded by several layered platforms, protected by hand-carved marble railings. From here, the view into the old city of Beijing is extensive and panoramic.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #11Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #11
Bei Hai Park, Photo #11

One of the most spectacular view from the top of Jade Hill is seeing the complete layout of the "Forbidden City" and all of its palaces. It is only from here, the one can appreciate the immense size of this palace-complex below.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #12Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #12
Bei Hai Park, Photo #12

Another view from atop the Jade Island Hill, standing just below the "White Dagoba" is a view toward Jianshan Park, with its series of royal pavilions. And beyond Jianshan Park, the "new" Beijing begins to raise in the contructions of Beijing's modern skyscrapers.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #13Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #13
Bei Hai Park, Photo #13

From atop of Jade Island Hill, we descend into the royal gardens, surrounding and extending the length of the lake. There are gardens within gardens, lush and colorful, exerting all of the traditional Chinese gardening theories. Bey Hai Park is the masterpiece of Chinese gardening art.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #14Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #14
Bei Hai Park, Photo #14

The Royal Gardens of Bei Hai park is enjoyed by families and lovers. Mature trees shade from the heat of the sun, and visitors can exchange emotions in silence and by touch, surrounded by beauty, once only enjoyed by China's emperors and nobles.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #15Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #15
Bei Hai Park, Photo #15

Every corner offers a new surprise and a moment to stop and appreciate the talents of others. Here an artist will make a painting of a person with a large brush. The media is the pavement stone and water. Though temporary, soon to evaporate into the warmth of the day, this typically Chinese "water" artform is appreciated and admired by every passer-by. This talented man took great joy in "water-painting" the children of visiting families.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #16Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #16
Bei Hai Park, Photo #16

Musicians, with their ancient Chinese instruments entertain the crowd under the shades of lovely trees and besides the royal pavilions. I heard many sing along, remembering and recognizing China's old folk-songs. For me it was a soothing moment to remember my day-long excursion into Bei Hai Royal Park, a beautiful experience!
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #17Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #17
Bei Hai Park, Photo #17

A fascinating and colorful attraction within Bei Hai Park is this exquisite Nine-Dragon-Screen, a long spirit wall, spanning almost 90 feet. It has been created from colorful and richly glazed tiles. Depicting nine intertwining dragons, it was designed to obstruct evil spirits.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #18Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #18
Bei Hai Park, Photo #18

The Chinese dragon, contrary to our thoughts in the West, is a beneficent beast, offering protection and good luck. It is therefore often depicted on large screens, such as here and the Forbidden City. It has mystical significance, even today, in festivals such as Chinese New Year.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #19Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #19
Bei Hai Park, Photo #19

The Chinese dragon is an imaginative hybrid of many animal parts: Snake's body, bull's ears, deer horns, hawk's claws, and fish scales. Endowed with magical powers it can swim, fly, change form, bring rainfall and ward off evil spirits.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #20Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #20
Bei Hai Park, Photo #20

The five-clawed dragon was a representation of the power of the emperor. It could therefore only adorn and decorate his imperial buildings, to provide him continued protection from the bad spirits.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #21Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #21
Bei Hai Park, Photo #21

The two-sided screen becomes a magical sight and is nothing short of a work of art. Having survived several dynasties and centuries of turmoil and weather, it has lost nothing of its luster, and is a favorite for every visitor's camera.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #22Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #22
Bei Hai Park, Photo #22

One of the greatest joy in China is meeting the children of proud parents. This little "boy" was so happy to pose for me in my walk through Bei Hai Park. Each "one" child is the hope of their parents, and they are pampered and spoiled, as only "a little emperor" in China could be.
Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #23Bei Hai  Park,  Photo #23
Bei Hai Park, Photo #23

Let me say good bye to each of you now, and I hope you enjoyed with me, another visit to this beautiful and proud capital city of Beijing. This golden "happy" Buddha, also known as the "Buddha of the Future", sits in one of the many temples of Bei Hai Park. I too wish you continued happiness and a prosperous future. I hope you enjoyed this visit, and hope look forward to your commentary.



30th May 2008

Thank you very much!
Hello,Hans,first of all,thank you for today`s wonderful speech.I learn a lot from your speech.You know,I like travelling very much,too.But now,I must pay all my attention to my study.So,I don`t have spare time to travel.Fortunately I can know many beautiful places of intrest by your pictures.Thank you!You are a good man.I love you.Wish you great happiness!
31st May 2008

it's always such a pleasure hearing from you!
31st May 2008

Hello Mr. Schneider, i really like your travel blog. I am one of the few germans who just visited your city to learn chinese. Thank you for the time there. It was a real pleasure. Reading your travelblog now is like being in Taizhou again. =)
1st June 2008

hello ,Mr.hance.I'm sorry,it's my first time to enter your blog.It's great,Thank you very much .Because of you ,i know the responsibility for a teacher is sacred. You are very good teacher .Thank you .
1st June 2008

God Bless China. God Bless you. I miss you. One of your beloved students.
5th June 2008

Amazing earthquake blog
Hans, You know that I check your blogs every now and then because I taught in Jiansu province also (Nanjing). Your blog was the first that I heard of the frogs. A Chinese visitor here in Atlanta said she had heard of un-natural events that seemed to presage the earthquake. I will let her know about your blog. Your pictures were the first I saw of the swimming arena. Amazing architecture! Thanks for all you write and photograph.
8th June 2008

Hey!
I'm sooo glad you're okay schneider. I still miss you so much. This was a really sad post, but I am glad to have heard about the earthquake from you. Though it's the first I've heard about the frogs. The buildings for the Olympics are amazing. I only wish I could go and see it for myself. Stay well, keep writing and your photos are amazing!
12th June 2008

I love China, I love Beijing,and you, of course^_^
28th June 2008

hello,Mr.Schneider
you are my eyes to the world, Coz I have not much money to travel around.i love you.i am your fans.
4th July 2008

Thank you !!
I'd like to shake hands with you ,however,the situation does not permit ^_^ by the way,are you now still in China or you have gone to America to spend your summer vocation? thank you for all the photos and the passeges you write!!it brings me happiness.
2nd September 2008

Thanks...
Thank you Herr Schneider for this blog. I have learned so much from China from you. It's such a beautiful country, I hope I can visit one day.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb