#99 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Thoughts on China's Tragic Earthquake, and my most recent visit to the 29th Olympic City, Beijing)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Olympic Park
May 28th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A WARNING OF AN IMPENDING DISASTER??A WARNING OF AN IMPENDING DISASTER??A WARNING OF AN IMPENDING DISASTER??

Hours before the horrific earthquake in China's western province of Sichuan, on May 12, 2008, at 2:28p.m., millions of " HUGE AND BLACK TOADS" escaped the safety of their rivers, their canals, and their ponds. This happened, and is recorded in this photo, in my city of TAIZHOU, JIANGSU, some 1,000 miles from the center of the earthquake!!! What did this frantic toads know???
Throughout history, there have been a multitude of catastrophies, in which animals have given us warnings of impending disasters. One recent tragedy, that stands out in my mind, is the "great tsunami" in Indonesia only a few years ago. Elephants in large numbers, to the surprise of the inhabitants, stampeded toward higher grounds as the monster sea-waves approached the shores. The people of the Indonesian Islands did not know what to make of the elephants' strange behavior, until it was too late.

Let me tell you of another similar, but current occurrence. The event is documented in the first photo of this TravelBlog. I am not able to take credit for this picture, though it was taken in my city of Taizhou, Jiangsu :

Only HOURS before the devastating earthquake hit the province of Sichuan in S.W. China at 2:28p.m, on May 12, 2008, with tremors of magnitudes approaching "8" on the Richter-scale, tremors that were felt as far away as Beijing in the North-east (1,000 miles away) and also in Shanghai on the central east-coast of China, "millions and millions" of "Toads and Frogs" began to jump out of the rivers and canals and ponds of my
Toads for sale at up-scale supermarkets.Toads for sale at up-scale supermarkets.Toads for sale at up-scale supermarkets.

The same toads are for sale in major super-markets in Taizhou, ready to be served to discerning gourmet connoisseurs at restaurants and family dinner tables.
city of Taizhou, Jiangsu. You remember, that Taizhou is my small east-coast city of 5 million. Here I work and live.

No person in Taizhou could understand, what was happening, or why these water-creatures would escape their natural habitat in such massive numbers. The toads' bizarre behavior caused traffic jams everywhere near Taizhou's waterways and bridges. Cars, trucks, busses, mopeds and bikes could not avoid a massacre of these creatures, as tens of thousands were crushed by the tires, creating a slick road surface, that caused dangerous skidding of the road-vehicles.

Pedestrians found little room to walk among such slimy competition for road-space (or toad-space??), and travelers had to protect themselves from the hopping-onslaught. Men, women, and children found themselves surrounded by millions of black, jumping creatures, which Chinese families usually only see on a dinner table, or at the more "up-scale" restaurants of our city.

Neither Steven King nor Alfred Hitchcock could have imagined a more frightning movie-scene, as our city's population, heading back to work from a satisfying lunch, made little head-way toward their destinations, being surrounded and overwhelmed by an ever-increasing number of repulsive, black toads.

What did these sensitive creatures feel, and
A reminder to my visit to the Panda Reserves of Chengdu, SichuanA reminder to my visit to the Panda Reserves of Chengdu, SichuanA reminder to my visit to the Panda Reserves of Chengdu, Sichuan

The area of the super-earthquake around Chengdu, Sichuan is also the home of the Giant Panda. I am reminded of my visit to this lovely and endangered animal, and lament the loss of a number of them during the quake.
drive them from the safety of their under-water communes, and why did they wish to escape? Was their self-destructive behavior a warning of the impending disaster, which was just about to occur almost a thousand miles away in Chengdu, Sichuan, PRC ???????
***********************************************************************

MY VERY SAD GREETINGS TO EVERYONE:

This is certainly the most difficult entry into my TravelBlog since my time in this amazing country called China. Tears are never far away, as I continue to see the films and photos of suffering, from Sichuan's horrific earthquake. The reports have covered the airwaves and newspapers in China day and night.

Nothing is hidden, nothing is covered-up, and I see everyone here, from the Chinese leadership to the most humble peasant, sharing the in the pain, brought by this catastrophic earthquake in the province of Sichuan, near the city of Chengdu. Everyone is humbled by the forces of nature, and each in their own way, and according to their own means, are offering what they can to the victims of this devastation. Even our 35 German-students, visitors to Taizhou Teachers College, who arrived on the day of the quake, opened their hearts and wallets to contribute in
Sichuan is also the home of this spectacular Giant Buddha, the Great Dafo.Sichuan is also the home of this spectacular Giant Buddha, the Great Dafo.Sichuan is also the home of this spectacular Giant Buddha, the Great Dafo.

Not far from the epi-center of Sichuan's earthquake stands one of China's grand reliques, known as the "Great Dafo" or the Giant Buddha. It was one of the most impressive sights on my visit to Sichuan. I have heard little about its condition after the earthquake, and pray for its survival.
a gesture of friendship and compassion.

I visited Sichuan and its great city of Chengdu a little more than one year ago, and remember the days as early and happy moments in China. I have special memories of the proud and prospering city of Chengdu and its surroundings, and will never forget the moments, I was able to cuddle a Panda-bear sitting on my lap in Chengdu's nature preserve (**see TravelBlog entries #55 and #78**), and climbing the length and depth of the "Great Dafo", the Giant Buddha, carved into the side of a steep mountain cliff (**see TravelBlog entry #66**).

I had been so impressed by the natural scenery of Sichuan, one of China's great provinces, and remember the beauty of the mountains, enveloping so much of this lush-green region, and have never forgotten the warmth and hospitality of its inhabitants.
In America, we appreciate and know this province for the spicy, hot, and delicious foods, which are such favorites for many, including myself.

Sadly, Sichuan will forever be remembered as a place, where the fury of nature has taken the lifes of over 80,000 human beings in a short period of hours, and has brought
Chengdu, the thriving capital of Sichuan Province.Chengdu, the thriving capital of Sichuan Province.Chengdu, the thriving capital of Sichuan Province.

This was my view of Chengdu, one of China's most developed cities during my visit some 15 months ago. The city has now become the center the earthquake's rescue efforts, as planes and trains bring relief cargo, to be distributed into the surrounding, devastated country side. I understand, that most buildings within the city have survived, having been constructed under strict building-codes. The complying of the codes in the surrounding communities are now under investigation and may cause "heads to roll".
untold suffering to millions. But I want to believe that, this momentous tragedy in Sichuan will also be remembered as the place and moment, where the friendship of the world with China has reached a mile-stone in history, and where we have learned, that suffering is universal, and is often the harsh medicine, that brings all of us together and binds us as a family of nations, for no country will be shared its tears.

Therefore let me express my deep and sincere appreciation to each and everyone of you, who have written and phoned me in concern and who have thought of the Chinese people in compassion. I am grateful, that you are thinking of me so fondly, and I can assure you that I am well and healthy, as are all of my students and staff at Taizhou Teachers College.

More important are the wishes you have expressed for the suffering Chinese people, especially for those, who will carry the burdens and sacrifices of this catastrophy for many years to come. Think of them often, pray for them if you believe, and offer them what you can.

It is said, that from every tragedy, there
Greetings from Olympic Park in Beijing.Greetings from Olympic Park in Beijing.Greetings from Olympic Park in Beijing.

Let me now take you on a tour on an up-dated view of China's Capital, Beijing. The photos are from my most recent visit to this wonderful city, the weekend of the destructive earthquake in Sichuan, which was also felt in Beijing. None of the structures have sustained any damage. I hope you enjoy this most recent journey through the Olympic city of Beijing. Please note the clear, blue skies that every Chinese citizen is anticipating for the weeks of the Olympic Games.
also comes some good. The "Good Will", pouring from every corner of the world, has been received in China with the deepest of gratitude. The out-pouring of compassion has brought this nation consolation in their difficult hours and days, as they are coming to grips with the forces of nature unleashed upon their country.

More than ever, I now firmly believe, that this country needs and deserves the Olympics. Having sustained a number of tragedies these past months, the people here need a moment in the sun:

They have survived the coldest winter in the past 50 years, which has brought great suffering to millions, from which many are still recovering; the deadly and tragic train collision near Beijing of a month ago is still on many peoples' minds; and the international turmoil concerning Tibet had left a population in confusion and with the feeling, that perceived friendships were fading and tarnished, creating, especially among the young of China, an explosion of nationalism. Yet how quickly can tragedy change national and international moods.

I am now surrounded by a nation deep in mourning, though brimming with pride in their handling of one of the great catastrophies of
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #1Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #1Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #1

The National Stadium in Beijing is now complete, ahead of schedule. It will be remembered by every visitor as one of the most unique structures in the world. (for statistics, please see TravelBlog entry #81)
this century. The presentaton of the successful Olympic games in Beijing will be the catalyst, that will elevate and restore the spirits of the Chinese people once again. I dream, that political competitions might be settled at conference tables, and sport competitions will fought on the sports fields.

The Chinese speak of adversity and suffering, experienced throughout their 5,000 year history, heaped upon them by both nature and man. They firmly believe in their strength as a great world power now and in the future, and that they will overcome all obstacles.

My students share with me their believe daily, that any great national pain will have a remedy, and that their leaders will find solutions; and that their suffering will give them strength, and bond them more deeply as a nation.
************************************************************************

AND NOW TO THE 120 PICTURES ATTACHED IN THIS PHOTO-TRAVEL-JOURNEY:
**(For my EARLIER entry about the Olympic-area, including the Birds Nest, the Water Cube, as well as their statistics, and other Olympic-city sites on my previous visit to the Olympic City of Beijing several months ago, please visit my TravelBlog entry #81) :

I had the opportunity to visit Beijing again on the
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #2Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #2Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #2

It is not possible to enter the grounds of the stadium for "us" average visitors. There are many who try to catch an early peak, and the view of the Bird's Nest is simply stunning.
weekend of the terrible earthquake. I was eager to see the progress of China's Capitol, as the Olympic games on August 8, 2008 are approaching rather quickly. Sadly, upon my return to my home in Taizhou, I would have to mourn with a nation, overwhelmed by the catastrophy, that continues to take a heavy toll.

In this TravelBlog #99, let me share with you the photos of Beijing, taken only a few weeks ago. Though the weather was not the most co-operative during my latest visit, it did not diminish the joy of walking China's grand capitol again.

Beijing is looking great. The manicured and landscaped stretches of green, the thousands of lush and majestic trees, the spectacular colors of millions of blooming rose-bushes, and the stunning colors of never-ending flower-beds of every variety line and follow the great avenues, streets, and roads, into the horizon.

The roads are swept clean of even the smallest piece of paper or a ciggarette-butt within minutes by an army of men and woman. In clean uniforms, shining-new trash-carts in tow and brooms in hand, these attentive street-sweepers patrol every yard of every road in Beijing. Not a speck of dirt
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #3Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #3Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #3

As a bird would weave strands to create its nest, so here too, shining steel-beams interlink, to create one of the world's most unique structures. Green space and water will surround and complement, what I see as one of the world's most beautiful stadiums.
or trash escapes their attention. One can see their faces brimming with pride in their commitment, to make this the world's cleanest city. "It is an honor and a duty to their beloved city", they tell me beeming with pride. With smiles, they dare me to find a piece of trash within their sphere of responsibility. I had no luck and could only complement their fanatical efforts.

On the other hand, car-and bus-congestion in Beijing has not deminished. If I had the fortune to flag down a cab, with an often "not so friendly" driver, Beijing residents would consider that luck. Repeatedly, I found myself stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, wondering why I had not simply walked to my destination.

I can only lament Beijing's future traffic nightmare, with thousands of new vehicles appearing on the city's roads daily. There are plans in place to ease this traffic-problem during the time of the Olympic venues, when vehicles will be permitted on days, depending on the last numbers of their license plates, with taxis and busses having no restrictions. But looking beyond the 2008 Olympics, Beijing will have to confront one of the world's most serious traffic nightmares,
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #4Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #4Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #4

The surrounding area of Beijing's Olympic Stadium is strictly guarded by members of the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA). They will stand at attention, seeking a little shade under the hot sun of Beijing.
with no easy solution.

The subways are already saturated, as throngs of riders push for- and squeeze into every square-inch of space. Public busses follow their own marked lanes, arriving bumper to bumper at every next stop, directed to a halt by uniformed, flag-waving "guiders". Waiting passengers have recently been educated to stand in orderly lines and wait their turn to enter the bus or subway, a habit all other Chinese cities are still in need to immitate.

No matter, this city of Beijing, and with it China, will be ready for its moment of glory on 08-08-08, as this new super-power formally enters into the world-family of nations. Beijing will be ready to open its doors, out-stretch its arms, and greet and welcome the world. It will do so on behalf of all of China. The world will find an exotic, amazing, and satisfying metropolis. Few world-capitols will be able to cast a shadow over this shining star of China, and fewer can compete with the contrasts of a 5,000 year history, culture, customs, architecture, arts, and gostronomy this city is ready to share with its visitors, now and in the future.

Enjoy a careful look
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #5Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #5Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #5

As the thousands of trees surrounding the Bird's Nest continue to mature, the design will take on additional beauty.
at what I have seen on my last visit to Beijing. I am happy to share with you these 120 photos of China's capital and the site of the 2008 Olympics, now only 3 months away. I encourage you to enlarge them for greater details, and should you ever come to visit this grand capital, don't forget my invitation to my more humble city of Taizhou in Jiangsu. A direct and comfortable night train connects the two cities. You will be welcomed, and you will be greeted by the surprising, Chinese hospitality.

A SHORT REMINDER OF A FEW STATISTICS CONCERNING THE "BIRD'S NEST" and THE "WATER CUBE" :

1. THE BIRD'S NEST will forever be remembered as the main site for the opening of the 29th Oympic ceremony and Athletics and Football matches. It is called the BIRD'S NEST because of its interlacing steel design. The interwoven structural elements of the facade are like tree branches. The membranes on the outer surface make the lighting inside bright and soft. The structure of the Nest is saddle- shaped. The east-west axis is about a 1,000 feet long, and the north-south axis is about 1,200 feet long. The highest point
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #6Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #6Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #6

The pride of the "new" China. At various locations, a security fence still surrounds and obscures the view of the stadium. No matter, it is now, and will continue to be a favorite spot for photo-ops.
is about 240 feet high, and the lowest point is about 150 feet high. The stainless-steel structure totals 42,000 tons of steel. 48 steel bars extend outside from the roof-center in a twisted and interwoven manner down to the floor. The entire structure is designed and built from the inside out.

2. THE WATER CUBE is like a blue square-box and is the aquatics center, located next to the BIRD'S NEST. I was designed with the Chinese traditional philosophy of "round for heaven" and "square for earth". The center will be the home of the Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, and Synchronized Swimming competitions. It has been designed with the latest energy efficient technology, and uses a light-weight, transparent pillow-cladding, made of a product known as ETFE for the exteranl layer. There are 3,000 bubble-like pillows, of which the largest is about 10sq.yards, and the smallest is less than 1sq.yard. It is said, that its inspiration comes from the soap-bubble.


Please share your thoughts, questions, and suggestions by adding your comments to this travelblog. They will be read and are appreciated by many. Your effort of writing will certainly encourage me to continue sharing my adventures in China
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #7Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #7Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #7

A complete view of this new national stadium makes my heart beat faster, every time I have to opportunity for a visit. It would be great to hear some of the comments from those, who will have the opportunity to stand within the grounds on opening day.
with you.

**PLEASE note my NEW e-mail address: HansSchneider102@msn.com. I have discontinued my "old" BellSouth e-mail address!**


*************************************************************************

A SPECIAL NOTE FOR ANYONE WHO MAY BE THINKING ABOUT A UNIQUE TEACHING EXPERIENCE AT TAIZHOU TEACHERS COLLEGE :

The Foreign Affairs Director of Taizhou Teachers College, Mr. Arthur Lee, who is also my dear friend, invites individuals, who are native English speakers with a degree, and who may have a desire to teach at our small teachers college for the coming fall semester, to send him a letter of interest. You should have at least Bachelors Degree, and age is not an obstacle. To learn more about Taizhou Teachers College in the Province of Jiangsu, about 3 hours from Shanghai, please visit the web-site of the college at: www.tzsz.net . You may contact Arthur directly through his personal e-mail: arthurlee65@yahoo.com.cn
You are also welcome to pose any questions you have directly to me through this TravelBlog, and I will forward your interest to him.
It may well become your adventure of a life-time, as it has become for me.
Visit my TravelBlog #22 on additional thoughts, teaching at Taizhou Teachers College.

*****************************************************************************
PREVIOUS TRAVELBLOG ENTRIES
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #8Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #8Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #8

One more close-up of this stunning and now completed steel structure. It has dazzled me from my first visit months ago. It will enrapture those still to come into contact with it, and will be remembered by future generations as the symbol of Beijing's Olympic games. (Please remember to view TravelBlog #81 for the statistics of the beauty.)
FROM MY VISITS TO THE OLYMPIC CITY OF BEIJING:


Olympic site, (Birds Nest, Water Cube, and city views): ..........................................Entry # 81
Tian'anmen Square, (World's largest square): ....................................................Entry #46,#47,#82
Forbidden City: ...............................................................................................Entry # 49
Temple of Heaven: ..........................................................................................Entry # 50
Summer Palace: ..............................................................................................Entry # 91
Marco Polo Bridge: ..........................................................................................Entry # 67
The Great Wall: ...............................................................................................Entry # 48
Lama Temple: .................................................................................................Entry # 93
Ming Tombs, (Spirit Way and Tombs): .................................................................Entry # 83, #84
Tan Zhe Si (Temple): .......................................................................................Entry # 95
Ji Tai Si (Temple): ............................................................................................Entry # 94
Exotic Foods of Beijing, Wangfujing Steet: ............................................................Entry # 75
Mei Lanfang, (home of Beijing Opera Star in Taizhou) ..............................................Entry # 34








Additional photos below
Photos: 120, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #9Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #9
Bird's Nest - Olympic Stadium, Photo #9

The grounds and landscape of the 29th Olympics in Beijing will soon be complete, and will complement, what I consider the most unique and most beautiful stadium in the world. It is the symbol of the 2008 Olympics, and once viewed by visitors, it will never be forgotten.
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #1Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #1
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #1

On my latest visit to the Olympic-site I took another look at the magnificent "Water Cube", and found it carfully guarded by another PLA officer. (Please take another look at my TravelBlog #81 for the statistics of this innovative Olympic structure.)
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #2Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #2
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #2

The stadium, also known at the National Aquatics Center, in which the swimming and diving venues will be offered during the up-coming Olympics, appears to be alive and breathing.
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #3Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #3
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #3

Here the "Water Cube" and the "Bird's Nest" appear as a pair. They are located close to each other, and present China's new and daring efforts at the most innovative architecture.
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #4Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #4
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #4

From a distance, the Water Cube shows off its massive size.
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #5Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #5
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #5

The skin of the Water Cube is translucent, and incorporates the most modern innovations of any swimming stadium in the world. (see TravelBlog #81)
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #6Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #6
Water Cube - The Swimming Stadium, Photo #6

The guards continue to secure the grounds of the Water Cube, as they continue walk its perimeter 24 hours a day. I can't wait to step into its interior.


30th May 2008

Thank you very much!
Hello,Hans,first of all,thank you for today`s wonderful speech.I learn a lot from your speech.You know,I like travelling very much,too.But now,I must pay all my attention to my study.So,I don`t have spare time to travel.Fortunately I can know many beautiful places of intrest by your pictures.Thank you!You are a good man.I love you.Wish you great happiness!
31st May 2008

it's always such a pleasure hearing from you!
31st May 2008

Hello Mr. Schneider, i really like your travel blog. I am one of the few germans who just visited your city to learn chinese. Thank you for the time there. It was a real pleasure. Reading your travelblog now is like being in Taizhou again. =)
1st June 2008

hello ,Mr.hance.I'm sorry,it's my first time to enter your blog.It's great,Thank you very much .Because of you ,i know the responsibility for a teacher is sacred. You are very good teacher .Thank you .
1st June 2008

God Bless China. God Bless you. I miss you. One of your beloved students.
5th June 2008

Amazing earthquake blog
Hans, You know that I check your blogs every now and then because I taught in Jiansu province also (Nanjing). Your blog was the first that I heard of the frogs. A Chinese visitor here in Atlanta said she had heard of un-natural events that seemed to presage the earthquake. I will let her know about your blog. Your pictures were the first I saw of the swimming arena. Amazing architecture! Thanks for all you write and photograph.
8th June 2008

Hey!
I'm sooo glad you're okay schneider. I still miss you so much. This was a really sad post, but I am glad to have heard about the earthquake from you. Though it's the first I've heard about the frogs. The buildings for the Olympics are amazing. I only wish I could go and see it for myself. Stay well, keep writing and your photos are amazing!
12th June 2008

I love China, I love Beijing,and you, of course^_^
28th June 2008

hello,Mr.Schneider
you are my eyes to the world, Coz I have not much money to travel around.i love you.i am your fans.
4th July 2008

Thank you !!
I'd like to shake hands with you ,however,the situation does not permit ^_^ by the way,are you now still in China or you have gone to America to spend your summer vocation? thank you for all the photos and the passeges you write!!it brings me happiness.
2nd September 2008

Thanks...
Thank you Herr Schneider for this blog. I have learned so much from China from you. It's such a beautiful country, I hope I can visit one day.

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb