Just One of the Crowd in Beijing! - Part 1


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Mutianyu
May 1st 2009
Published: May 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, This is a long blog so I've split it into smaller bite size pieces. So much to do in Beijing.

The Train Trip


Today was the start of our 5 days off. I had already purchased the tickets from the local agency for the D train to Beijing from Tai'an (Taishan). We have been on some dodgy trains in our travels so we weren't sure how this trip would be. But right from the get go, it was smooth sailing. The train station in Tai'an is tidy, clean and orderly. People sit in the appropriate section. Mind you, they still barge through the crowd as if they had to race for their seat. But as all seating was assigned we strolled leisurely up the platform and found that carriage 8 on our ticket happens to be the first carriage. We walk in and felt like we boarded a plane but nicer. Plenty of leg room the seats adjust properly, big windows to watch the chinese world whiz past. Bottled water for the passengers. A drinks and snacks trolley just like the airlines. A large lavatory area on the carriage behind us. Cleaned regularly too. The top speed on our trip was 207kph and we could see the new tracks that are being laid down for the new fast train. Top speeds for the new train will be approximately 400kph. This was a pleasure to ride. From the outside the front of the train even looks like an airplane sans the wings.

We arrived into Beijing station and herded our way out of the terminal. The first thing we noticed was the number of people. We've been in a sleepy town for 3 months compared to this. It was easy to find our hotel. I knew where it was (after many times studying the street map) but the cabbie wasn't too sure so he wanted to call the hotel to get directions. The cab cost us 10 yuan but the first tout at the station tried to stiff us for 100 yuan we laughed and walked away. It pays to know the ways here. The distance for those of you curious about the fare was only about 2-3kms (from the station to Nanheyan Street near the Forbidden City. We checked in and booked the trip to the Mutianyu section of the wall for Saturday. Thought we'd get the big trip out of the way and then wander around town for the other two days.

We wandered around town to check out the sights. The main walking mall is just like Hong Kong shopping and just as expensive. David needed some things though and I wanted to check out the english book shop. We visited the outdoor food market in Jinyu Street. This is a popular destination to find all kinds of animals and their parts on a stick for a bbq style dinner. There was also plenty of fruit in dripping toffee. Lots of smells and sounds and many people. Some of the choices on a stick: squid, lamb, beef, chicken, chicken hearts, larvae, scorpions, starfish, beetles, gizzards and goat testicles? We weren't brave enough for the scorpions but we learned from a couple of italians that they tasted like french fries. Uh huh!

A Day at the Wall and other Sundries



We paid a higher price than others for the day trip to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall (350 each). I had read that this section of the wall is less touristed than Badaling. We left the hotel at 6.45am to collect others around town. People from India, Netherlands, US, Germany, Slovenia and obviously we Shandongites. Quite funny when chinese people ask us where did we come from. Our answer would be Shandong, you could see their brains trying to register. One asked if that was in Austria because he really couldn't match our caucasian faces with the place.

We travelled out of inner Beijing to the Gates of the Ming Tombs. We walked around this area for a while, we weren't going to the tombs which were about 20kms away but we learned a great deal from the excellent guide we had for the day. Once we walked the avenue we headed to a government owned facility of Chinese Medicine. We enjoyed a brief introduction by a lady who spoke a very funny english. Three supposed doctors came in to take our pulse and tell us what is seriously wrong. Then it will be 400yuan of herbal medicine for a 2 week subscription and then our health problems will be gone. I don't think so. One looked at me and said I was tired. What a genius! I bet he studied for 10 years to be able to tell me that. David's turn...you have a hot liver. No shit, Sherlock! Could have something to do with the alcohol he drank the night before.

Off we trundled again. Next destination, a jade polishing factory and dare I say it, another opportunity to part with our money. We had a demonstration on how to test jade for authenticity. Ting, it must sound. The white jade is more valuable than the green. The most expensive item I could see in the large showroom was a statue of Shiva about 9 inches tall. Yours for just 320000 yuan. What a steal! We are then ushered into the restaurant next door for an 11am lunch. Well a bit early because it will be a long afternoon if the bus doesn't arrive back until 6pm. We sampled some local delicacies, were told not to rush we had plenty of time. But after half an hour our guide is saying ok everyone let's go...we must beat the crowds.

We arrive at the wall and the crowd had beaten us there anyway. Words cannot describe the feeling of being near and walking on this structure. But I'll try. Awesome, overwhelming, amazing! That ought to do it. Check out our photos.

That makes another ancient-ish wonder of the world for me so far. The Parthenon, The Pyramids in Egypt, Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat temples, The Great Wall of China. In that order. Plenty more wonders to see. As we are learning with the Chinese, if there is an opportunity for a fun ride then put it in. We took the chairlift up to the top and rode toboggans (our guide calls them tobeggans) down hill. Self controlled. But it was a slow trip as some people in front of us didn't want to go very fast. A bit frustrating. All back in the bus at 3.30 for the trip home. Lots of traffic for the end of the holiday weekend. We arrive back at the hotel around 5.30.

See Part 3


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

You have vely hot river...You have vely hot river...
You have vely hot river...

... probably from the whisky last night.
Standing still Standing still
Standing still

and the crowd moves on.
Mutianyu wall sectionMutianyu wall section
Mutianyu wall section

some very steep steps
Right, I'm here now.Right, I'm here now.
Right, I'm here now.

Where's the party?


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb