Great Wall - Simatai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
April 19th 2008
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

I am back to Beijing again, this time I came alone, and the main goal is to visit the Great Wall, but the Simatai part, it is far from Beijing, about 3 hours using the public transport. This part is raw great wall, I mean it wasn't rebuilt, so some part is broken, but the feeling there is much better, it is not commercial and not artificial, you can really feel the Great Wall there, no such people, steep hill and beautiful scene, it is a hard path but really worth.
Back to Beijing city, the Houshan park, it means Park of Back Mountain in Chinese, the park is located at north of the Forbidden City, in the beginning there is no mountain there, but following the Feng Shui theory, the house is better having the mountain at back as protector, so the empire palace can not be without the mountain, and then the emperor order to make the mountain, digging the earth to build it, and the hole of the digging is now the lake of Beihai Park, if there is a good weather you can have the entire view of the Forbidden City from back mountain.
Beihai park, at west side of the Forbidden City, there are the famous 9 dragons wall, white pagoda and the artificial lake from digging to build the Back Mountain, and this time I saw the foreigner learning the Tai Chi Chuan from the Chinese there, it is very interesting, personally I like very much the mix of the cultures.
The Summer Palace, the park outside of the Forbidden City for royal family, there had a lot of occidental design for the buildings, but the major of the building were destroyed in the end of Qing dynasty when the foreigners invaded the Beijing, that was the decline of Chinese empire. There were 12 statues of Chinese horoscope in the Summer palafe and basically all of them are in the museums from Europe after the invasion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb