Forbidden City


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ArtArtArt

At the Forbidden City most of the paintings and statues were of dragons and lions.

Forbidden City

 Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City By Beckc
May 5th 2007 Day 1 Continued...

After our walk around Tiananmen Square, I was surprised that the Forbidden City could be entered through the "Gate of Heavenly Peace" (the large building with the picture of Mao on the front, built in the 15th century). The Forbidden City was huge! It got it’s name because it was off limits to people for 500 years. It is amazing how well these structures have held up over time. Most of the buildings were reconstructed in the 17th century; paint was reapplied to the outside of the buildings and new brick flooring was laid in some areas. Today they are still working on keeping up the old buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Imperial GateThe Imperial Gate
The Imperial Gate

The Imperial Gate to the Forbidden City. Walking though this gate will take you directly to the Forbidden City.
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Some of the buildings were under reconstruction while we were visiting.
Walk wayWalk way
Walk way

The bricks that lined the floor of the Forbidden City were very old. There were some areas that were reconstructed, but it mostly looked like this.
Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Almost every building in the Forbidden City is painted red.


7th May 2007

WOW
I love reading your travel blogs! Makes my day....isnt it amazing seeing how other cultures live (or lived!0

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb