Koh Rong - it's named that for a reason!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
February 8th 2016
Published: February 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We took the ferry from Sihanoukville to Koh Rong ready for Amy's birthday we had heard there was no air in on the island so tried find suitable accommodation and paid $80 for a room which was just a 15 minute ferry ride off Koh Rong. We took the slow boat as it was $5 less than the fast boat, which happened to be perfect as we were able to see the beautiful Koh Rong samleon island and also dive off the boat on the way (which sorted our hangovers right out). There were about 40% Chinese on the boat who always insist on wearing there lifejackets, when we jumped off the boat there was a couple who were so terrified of the water but got in anyway (wearing life jackets and using the floating device). The woman was screaming so loudly as her boyfriend had let go of her hand and reached out to me I had to grab her and take her back t the boat, we were howling with laughter. Once we got to the Samleon islands we couldn't believe how stunning it was, to anyone who wants to go to the islands this is a must see! We then carried the ferry on to Koh Rong, the beach itself was beautiful but had a weird vibe as we stepped off the ferry. We de used to let Amy stay with our ginormous backpacks whilst we went to check out our new digs! We went to see 7 rooms all priced @ $20 with no ensuite and they were worse than the most disgusting hotel in BlAckpool. Eventually we found one down a back alley that actually had room to put our backpacks in and ourselves. There was no air con and mosquito nets everywhere! We decided to suck it up and go get some drinks. on walking round people were all tattoo' and very clicky and thought they were too cool for school and it seemed the majority of the people were workers and not travellers. That day Amy got sick and tried to muster up the energy to make it out for her birthday but couldn't stop being sick. We noticed that the back of the island (very close to our residence) was a mound of rubbish and rats. The place was a tip site! Lisa and ourselves went out but although the music was very cool we just couldn't get speaking to people so actually ended up going back around 12:30. We did bump into shawarma whole we had travelled with last in Phuket 7 weeks earlier.... The room was so warm and Amy was still sick we got in our mosquito nets and went to sleep. Later that night we would hear scuttling around the room but had no idea what it was, Bec woke @ 03:00 and as we had a shared bathroom down the darkest alley we both went together. When we got there we were met by the biggest spider that was sat chilling on the toilet Bec was so freaked out so tried to pee in a bottle to no joy! We went back to the room and Lisa jumped up for the toilet so we told her what was in there, she looked round said "no it must have gone" sat on the toilet and it crawled over her foot and on her leg. It then hid behind the pipe on the toilet and we were so desperate we had to go whilst it glared at us.The next 4 hours were extremely unpleasant and we had no sleep, we even jumped in the girls bed as we were so terrified lying in the pheotel position. We made the decision then we were leaving the island. As we waited for the ferry the next day we also bumped into a girl who had known us through our party friend Darci but we had actually never met! On our return we were all so sick that we had a bacterial infection and had to take antibiotics for 5 days, but too be honest it was time to allow our livers to recover!Everything went wrong in Koh Rong......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb