Cambodian Thoughts


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

He who stays at home beside his hearth and is content with the information which he may acquire concerning his own region, cannot be on the same level as one who divides his life span between different lands, and spends his days journeying in search of precious and original knowledge.
- 10th century Muslim geographer al-Masudi, “The Meadows of Gold”


Cambodia is unlike anything we know having suffered a desperate poverty we cannot fathom. A country whose capital was emptied to a ghost town & civilians were forced to work the fields or condemed to death.

" The Khemer Rouge implemented one of the most radical & brutal restructurings of a society ever attempted" Lonely Planet

There isnt much traffic in Siem Reap seems Cambodians prefer cars & 4 WD to motor bikes. It sure makes crossing the street easier. given the average salary, it makes sense that there just isnt much on the road.

We vibrarted down a dusty pockmarked road filled with detours around 1/2 assed construction sites every 1/4 mile or so. We held on to our belongings as they bounced all over the bus & passed them back when they tried to get away. It has been said that the road doesnt get fixed so the airlines will make money but we took our roller coaster ride in good stride.
Once we crossed into Thailand the road was like silk after getting off what was possibly the worst road I have ever been on.

Two night in Bangkok.
Back again. Never knew Id be back in this city and i enjoyed it better this time. We went back to Kho San road and Patpong. Then took a day trip to see some things we missed the 1st time around. We went to the floating markets and the tiger temple where we got to pet the tigers. live tigers! and a cub that was cuddly and playful. Not something you get to see everyday !


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb