Goodbye... Hello NY


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
June 5th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

How'd you get it all home?How'd you get it all home?How'd you get it all home?

I had to carry it on the plane!
We are home in NY now and gone are the priorities of wakeup calls & ATM's
Maps, meals & money
sights, scenes & sounds
pictures, video & internet access.
We no longer get water from street vendors we can drink from the tap and we stopped calling bathrooms toilets and worry about basics like toilet paper , squat toilets and hand sanitizer.

We have come home to our whistling birds & a garden in need of some weeding and a weather forecast that says hazy hot & humid. It is sad to end yet another life changing trip but we are comforted by the new cultures we learned and the new friends we made. We had to say goodbye & hope it really means we'll see you again .....someday.... somewhere.

We did do that twice on this trip. Back in 2005 we took a Geckos tour called Thailand at a Glance. We had 2 guides named Joe and one was in training. Joe hung out with us alot on that trip and we have kept in touch by email since then. Being we were going back to Bangkok, I got in touch and made plans to meet up. When we got to Bangkok we met on Kho San road and had a few. It was great to catch up again.

But before that on the overnight train in Vietnam there was a geckos tour leader group touring Vietnam and lo and behold there was Joe our tour leader. We talked and caught up and saw him in one of the hotels at breakfast. Their itinerary was different so we didnt see them on tour, but it just goes to show it is never goodbye, it is see you again... sometime ... somewhere.

The pleasure in traveling consists of the obstacles, the fatigue, and even the danger. What charm can anyone find in an excursion when he is always sure of reaching his destination, of having horses ready waiting for him, a soft bed, an excellent supper, and all the eases and comfort he can enjoy in his own home! One of the great misfortunes of modern life is the want of any sudden surprise, and the absence of all adventures. Everything is so well arranged.
- Théophile Gautier, “Wanderings in Spain”



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb