Are these Angkor temples good or Wat?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 13th 2007
Published: December 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yo Yo Yo homies.

When we got to Phnom Penh, Cambodia's capital, all of the bags were loaded on to the side of the road before anyone had chance to get off the bus. Between us and our bags were about 20 touts all jostling and shouting at us to go to their guesthouse. One guy got too much in my face and I had to push him in the chest, to which he told me to calm down. I was pretty agitated and thought either I might punch him or he was gonna kill me, or both! In the end we managed to get a tuk-tuk to our guesthouse which turned out to be pretty grim, much like Phnom Penh as a whole. The only good things were an excellent restaurant, a market with very cheap clothes, and a supermarket selling bottles of Smirnoff vodka for about 3 quid.

Siem Reap proved to be a much nicer town. We hired a tuk-tuk driver for 2 days to visit the Angkor temples. When he introduced himself it sounded like his name was Jed, not very likely but good enough for me. The temples are pretty amazing. Angkor Wat is massive and really impressive, and a lot of the others are great fun to climb up and around on. After two long days (the first one starting at 5am for sunrise at Angkor Wat!) we were all templed-out.

We then got the bus to Bangkok which was a bit of an experience. The road to the Thai border has got to be one of the worst roads in the world, and we were on one of the worst buses in the world! Everyone's backpacks were strewn down the aisle and two Cambodians had to sit on some bags at the front of the bus. Half way to the border the bus driver and his two friends stopped off at a stall for some food. One of them was sat next to us whilst she ate whole, deep-fried chicks always biting the head off first. The beaks must have scratched on the way down!

The bus on the Thai side was much better but when we got a taxi to our guesthouse the driver tried to steal from our bags. It was pretty scary and we thought he might mug us so I made him pull over on a busy street. Luckily we were quite close to our guesthouse.

Thanks for all of your comments, we enjoy reading them.

Thank you for reading and please, don't have nightmares!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th December 2007

The Outrage!
What??? We wait 8 or so weeks for the next instalment, and all we get is a cheesy pun title and a few lines of text?! And the only slightly amusing tail sounds like what Paul does every Friday night when he has one too many (2) Stella's! And no photo's?!! I'm gonna start a f*@king RIOT!!!
17th December 2007

Oh dear, someone had a tough week at work. Cheer up Woods i'll be back soon. You spelt tale wrong you tail!
20th December 2007

A tale about my tail (or is it tale?)
My sincere apologies for the outburst, it must have been my time of the month (just a little joke to get the ladies on board). I thought I better tell you how much Tal is obviously missing you... in the middle of our game of poker the other week he just shouted out the word qwim for no apparent reason. Must be heggers withdrawal!! I had a curry last night and now my ass is on fire, hope your asses, and the rest of you, are OK and having fun! Later

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb