Beaver Club


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 4th 2008
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sawat di kaa!!

We used Bangkok as a base in Thailand and stayed at the same hotel which we really liked and were very comfortable there. We both really liked Bangkok and we got a little bit obsessed with a big supermarket called 'Big C', where we ate in the food court rather a lot because it was nice and so cheap. I think we were the only Westeners there every time and everyone stared at us everytime we went!

We weren't planning on going to Pattaya but by this time we were ready for a beach so we decided to go for a few days. We both decided we didn't really like Pattaya because it was extremely touristy with the beach being completely covered in deckchairs and umbrellas, and I was facing too much competition from all the lovely Ladyboys! I'm sure Paul suddenly started wearing his sunglases a bit more as well...

Most of the people in Pattaya were fat, middle-aged Westerners walking hand-in-hand with pretty, young Thai girls. One night we walked down one of the sleazier streets and were presented with a menu for "Beaver Club". We decided to turn down both the ping-pong show and the balloon show!

Unfortunately, we didn't see my Uncle David in Pattaya where he now lives, so we moved on to Kanchanaburi, which is a nice little town surrounded by mountains and we had a great time here.

We did a day tour which we started by feeding some friendly and excitable elephants, and then we went to Erawan Falls, which consists of seven tiers of waterfall which we could trek up, clambering over rocks and up rickety wooden stairs and bridges, then we could swim in the lovely refreshing blue water. When we stood still in the water the fish in there would start nibbling at our feet which felt pretty weird! We both had a great time here and it was definately Paul's favourite thing we've done so far.

After that we went on a train across the 'Death Railway' where thousands of Allied Prisoners Of War died whilst building the bridge, and then we saw 'The Bridge on the River Kwai'.

Also in Kanchanaburi we did a cooking class with a Thai lady called Noi. It was just us and an American girl doing it so it was very good fun. Firstly we went to the market which was really interesting but pretty disgusting as there were lots of things like some alive fish in plastic bags flapping around, pigs heads and whole skinned rabbits and it smelt horrible. But we learnt quite a lot and saw food we had never seen before.

We cooked a number of dishes including two delicious curries and a dish called 'Pad Thai' which is noodles with vegetables, egg and peanuts and we ate it loads whilst in Thailand. You lucky buggers who live with us can look forward to us showing you our new expertise when we get home (Well mine anyway, Paul did mess up the Red Curry - he put all of the curry paste in which would make it extremely spicy even for a Thai person and Noi made him eat it, hahaha!).

Being the jetsetters we are, we flew next from bangkok to Chiang Mai which took an hour and as soon as we landed we could see gorgeous mountains covered in greenery all around us. We were pretty lazy in Chiang Mai, but one afternoon we decided to hire bikes and ride to the park. But of course as soon as we set off it started to pour with rain and we had to take shelter until we realised it wasn't going to stop so we gave up and got absolutely soaked going home.

Hope everyone is well, we are still having a great time. And we hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year,

lots of love,
Louise and Paul xxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



4th January 2008

I'd almost forgotten you were doing a blog!
Very nice, the water looks lovely (not so keen on the fish). Looking forward to the nice thai food you're going to make for us! love you xxxx
6th January 2008

Bloody spoilsports ...................
Hi you 2 - glad you're having such a great time - Happy New Year to you both xx Really enjoying reading your blogs - think that's the first one I've read with no references to beer !!! Lol !! Nice to see some pics too ! Thought you could've made a bit more of an effort to visit the 'Beaver Club' tho' - I for one would've liked to have seen the pictures or a short video clip. Wonder what it was all about .................................... ??? !!! Looking forward to the invite for home - cooked Thai food as well. When will you be back ? Lol !! TTFN xx
11th January 2008

Beaver-y careful
Sorry !!.Thought i'd wish you both a Happy New Year and tell you how enjoyable these blogs are.As Phil said,it's good to see some pictures.I hope, by commenting on your blogs,to get an invite when you return and try out your new found culinary skills. Hoping it might get above 4 celcius here tomorrow.Don't go on the beach anymore as you're making me jealous. Enjoy-and keep sending the blogs. John xxx

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb