Beer, Bikes and Boom Boom


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
October 29th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Us again i'm afraid.

We've been quie lazy for the past week or so, just been getting all comfortable in Saigon which is the most developed of all the places we've been to so far. Had a very reasonable burger and chips a couple of times as well as more lovely Vietnamese food. I've also consumed numerous different types of beer so far and i've decided to start to give them all a rating. I'm aware this will sound very sad to most people (bring on the witty comments!) but I know Woods will appreciate it's importance!

In our first stay in Saigon we went to the War Remnants Museum which was excellent and displayed photography from the Vietnam War and of the later effects from US use of Agent Orange. It was all pretty horrific, including the preserved deformed foetuses, but very thought provoking. It was relatively biased against 'the American Imperialist yobs' but apparently not as biased as it used to be when it was called the Museum of Chinese and American War Crimes!

After a few days in Saigon we got a bus down to the lovely coastal town of Mui Ne. Our bungalow was 38 steps from the beach so we just chilled like villains for 5 nights and built up a slight tan. I was so lazy that I hired a motorbike for 2 days and it was great to ride through the town honking my horn at everyone in a Vietnamese Stylee. Louise says it was more like a moped but i'm pretty sure it was a big motorbike! Being a loving and protective boyfriend I didn't let Louise have a go on it. Its safer for everyone that way. Had a massage on the beach from a lovely local lady, $3 for 40mins. She had a nice touch and didn't hurt me too much. I bet she was a bit more delicate than Gabor from Budapest was on Woods!

Back in Saigon we went to the Cu Chi Tunnels which is where the Viet Cong hid successfully for so long from the Americans. The bit we could crawl down was 3m underground, 60cm wide, 1.3m high, and 100m long. It was so small, dark and claustrophobic that we both wimped out at the first exit at 30m. It was amazing that the Viet Cong could stay down there for so long, and the one we went down was apparently widened for us fat Westerners. We also got to fire an AK47 at their shooting range for $1.30 a bullet. No live targets though, so not as fun as it could have been!

So far we have been offered (and declined) marajuana, ecstacy, opium and, whilst getting a motorbike taxi the guy said to me "you want pretty girl for boom boom?".

We're both still having a great time although it seems like we've been away for ages. We've finally found somewhere with decent speed computers so we've put photos on all of the blogs now.

Hope everyone is swell.
Paul and Louise
xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hell's AngelHell's Angel
Hell's Angel

But she was only allowed to sit on it!
Easy RiderEasy Rider
Easy Rider

Paul riding off on his 'massive motorbike'!!!


29th October 2007

Great pics!
Great pics you two! Glad to see your enjoying yourselves! Louise why didnt you go on the bike/moped, you look good on it babe. Dont let Paul put you off!! Just cus he thinks he's James Bond now! Didnt like the look of that tunnel tho. Keep up the blogs and pics, really enjoying them. Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
29th October 2007

You're not going to come back as addicts are you?! xxx
30th October 2007

Paul's Hog
Dude cool bike, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that you don't refer to it as your hog! Also enjoying the very Daniel Craig picture of you coming out of the sea, you've clearly had all the hair shaved off your head and selotaped onto your chest!! Jealous of the whole trip but SO jealous that in a couple of weeks you will be able to legitamately use the term "back in 'Nam". Keep fighting the good fight chaps, peace.
30th October 2007

hey there, great to know that u r having a lovely time, ohhhh im sooo envious. Although its motivating me to save. Keep safe guys and keep writing these entertaining blogs!! Loads of love, shelley xxxxx
31st October 2007

Shot with a diamond reet in the middle of me forrid
Alright you two! Enjoying these blogs muchly. Tunnelling looks ace - not the first time you've crept down an east asian back passage though right Paul? etc etc. filth filth filth. I'm sorry. Where's this beer commentary? Forget Woodz - that rube - do it for me! Keep the photos coming - they're great! But i'd rather not see you shirtless and waddling out the sea again if that's ok. Right? Good. No river blindess in camp I hope? No sailors knee or lymphatic buboe? All that chili and lemongrass and i'm sure you've never been healthier. Stay away from the narcotics you two! Love the Jew x
13th November 2007

Paul, you need a tan! I wouldn't take any more beach shots until this has been achieved!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb