Trying to catch a wild Swordfish with my hands for lunch- and no im not joking


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Sihanoukville
February 24th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at the hotel and was glad to find out it was 3 minutes walk from the beach and on that 3 minute walk you passed through the bar area with happy hours. The happy hours included beers for 25 cents (10p), between 12-7 in the day if you paid 8 american dollars you could drink as much beer as you wanted, and buckets of cocktails for 3 quid. It looked like a place where you had to get drunk- its the law.
One down side of the backpacker orientated place was the rubbish and well- the backpackers HA HA.
When we got to the beach it was nice but there was a bit of rubbish, alot of people, and kids trying to sell you things EVERY FIVE MINUTES - ARG LEAVE ME ALONE.
Even with all that it was a nice beach and im just trying to find thinhgs to complain about when i really shoudl be as happy as a pig in sh*t.
At 7 that night we went to a place called Euphoria that had an all you can eat pizza pasta and garlic bread for 3 pound, all i could think of was all the people back home who would love it ( you know who you are).
Naturally we stuffed ourselves to the brim, got a few cocktails between us and played cards. We then sauntered to the beach where we watched people doing fire poi on the beach and looked at the stars ( with more drink naturally).
2nd Day 25/2/09
We started the day off with a pancake breakfast as it was shrove tuesday or at least near enough. Then a group of us went down to the beach to get our boat that was going to take us snorkelling, fishing, and to some deserted islands.
Firstly the snorkeling was good but slightly worrying as it was a bit murky and we were being told about loads of things to watch out for that could poison us. So there we are going ohh look at that isnt that nice, crap crap crap that thing could kill me 😊 it keeps you on your toes.
Then after an hour of looking ar the fishies and crabs we did some fishing. This came in the form of a vittel bottle, and fishing line attached to it and on the line a hook, basic but it worked. I caught one before we had to get to lunch, where i was able to have the fish i caught for nibbles. The island we went to was postcard beautiful and the best setting for a beach lunch.
While waiting for lunch we were playing with a frisbee in the water. I saw something about 10 meters away in the water that looked like rubbish, after chekcing with someone else we decided it wasnt rubbish but fins. I mentioned it to our guide and he went a bit giddy with excitement. He ran back to the beach got a big stick and told me and joe to go with him. He got me and joe to flank this "fish" while he went down the middle with a big stick. When me and joe got closer it was about 4 feet long. He said to us if we could catch it with our hands we should just grab it. A couple of times it swam really fast between me and joe, we kept grabbing for it though. This happened a couple of times as we kept getting close to it.
Eventualy it disappeared and we went for lunch. As we were eating our guide mentioned it was a pity we didnt catch the sword fish............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................................
Did you say SWORD FISH????
Yep.
AND YOU TOLD US TO TRY AND CATCH IT WITH OUR HANDS, COULD WE HAVE DIED.
yeah probably but you didnt, still pity we didnt catch it.
(me and joe had open mouthed expressions thinking of the times it came so close to us)
The rest of the day we did some more fishing where i ended up with the most fish all day- 4 (not alot but still the most in our group)
When we got back we realised that we all had really bad SUNBURN, Ouch. So as we all felt shite we retired to our rooms to watch the oscars. Bloody brilliant day in my opinion.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

sword fish here we comesword fish here we come
sword fish here we come

Us goign to get the fish


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb