Last day in Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 26th 2016
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.5588, 104.917

Check-out from hotel at 06:30 and go for a short walk along the riverfront before we have breakfast and leave Kampot. GiantIbis comes and pick us up at 08:15 and by 08:30 we are on our way back to Phnom Penh. Had been warned that these express buses drove too fast and were dangerous but to be fair the trip here was very comfy and the driver was safe. Our return trip is completely the opposite as I think the driver has his foot welded to the floor and one hand to the horn. Wasn't too worried how long it took us to get back to Phnom Penh I was just glad to get there alive !!
Take a remork to the hotel for our third visit and get a good room again. Just goes to show when you check in to a hotel ask to see several rooms before committing.
Straight back out to buy a filled baguette for lunch. They are nice here but nowhere near as good as they are in Laos. I have seen stout advertised a few times whilst we have been here and have been wanting to try some before we leave. On the way back to the hotel we stop at a small shop on the corner and they have some in cans so I take one back with me to wash down my baguette. It is called Black Panther – didn't know that Donald Nielsen had business interests over here ? It is brewed here in Cambodia by Cambrew Ltd and is 8% proof ! Luckily it was only a small can.
We were planning on taking a trip out of town this afternoon to see some ruined Khmer temples from the Angkor era but neither of us can face any more travelling and decide to have a lazy afternoon instead and end up watching C Palace 1v3 Spurs instead.
Go out at 16:00 and take a remork to the riverfront. I am still surprised at how little English to the remork drivers here speak. I wasn't expecting them to be fluent but obvious words such as 'river' seem beyond them. Almost every night I have to give them directions to the riverfront and then back to the hotel. They all say they know the hotel but once we start moving they instantly seem to forget ! Enjoy a beer sat on the balcony overlooking the Tonle Sap river then eat at what has become our regular place next door. Jai enjoys some seafood whilst I go for a last Khmer curry.
Back to the hotel about 19:30 to pack up most of our stuff to save time in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb