Day 2 - Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
November 8th 2011
Published: November 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Got up, I (Nat) didn't feel well and headed straight to a pharmacy, alka seltzer was in order! Caught a tuk tuk by the main tourist front, Riverside, gazed at the Tonle Sap river which was flowing very fast. The river was full of litter, the surrounding area smelt of carbon monoxide and many unidentified smells many of which not at all pleasant. We weren't very impressed with Riverside, too many foreigners and lots of beggars. We walked along the river front, stumbled accross a Buddhist Temple complex (we didn't realize what it was until we were sitting in a lotus position being blessed by a monk and had to donate a dollar to Buddha!). Next stop was the National Museum and Library. Here began our education of the Khmer people, their history, struggles, religion and fabric of society. The gardens felt very peaceful away from the noisy city. Afterwards we walked around some more and found the Independence monument where there was a sea of tuk tuks, motorbikes, cars, in all sorts of directions. Crossing the roads places our lives in danger :-) Back to the same restaurant where we had bbq prawns with rock salt plus other Khmer dishes. We both love the tastes of lemongrass, lots of garlic, ginger, etc...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb