Day 9, the push to Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 17th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The interesting thing about going off the beaten path in Cambodia is the lack of map or GPS routings. So when charting a route the formula for calculating the margin of error on distances one might expect to cover you better place your bets further along the chaos theory than probabilities theorems. We decided to re-route part of our path to avoid the extreme dust we were encountering and asking around the village, looking at our map and trying to figure out distances between set points on the GPS we guessed that reaching Phnom Penh would take anywhere between 38 and 60 km. We set-out, determined to do whatever it is we needed to do mileage wise that day until we reached PP. In the end it ended up being 40kms. Run began and Jeff knew right off that yesterday's collision with a rock had made more of an impression on his right leg than originally thought. Rather than warming out of the pain and stiffness, it gradually got worse until about an hour into the run, we had to pull the truck over, assess and do some compression bandaging. Jeff was mentally shattered for a few moments having to let go of his expectations on how making our entry into the big city was to be. When you run these distances over and over, you get pretty tuned in to what you will need to do given a certain degree of injury and we agreed on a plan that would see us get through one step after another and that our finish would be what it needed to be as a team, even if that meant we walked (hobbled) the miles. The compression helped and Jeff can pull the will to accomplish just about anything when the chips are down. The solo finish at the Death Race was not a fluke. So Hop-along Dean tuned into the zone and found a stride that was manageable (a 6:15 pace) and like horses heading for the barn, we set out to getting it done.

As we neared the city the heat and pollution increasing, no emission tests for vehicles here, we opted for some i-pod distraction given we has our sweeper Mambo on his moto upfront and Bunna in the truck behind shielding us from some of the oncoming traffic. About an hour from finish we were told we had a telephone interview with a radio station and then a TV channel and photographers from the Phnom Penh post would be meeting us close to the bridge leading into the city for some action shots. Running across that bridge together was indescribable, It was our original end point, we are there a day early, the contrast between the city and country, our team with us equally proud and cognizant of how hard we had worked to get there, would we do it again, you bet! Then as we crossed we realized we somehow had to manage to run through and around a roundabout of six streets in noon hour traffic. Its a good thing the endorphins were high, and frankly, not certain we would try that ever without a motor escort and cameras pointed on us for evidential purposes should either one or both of us get squished or end-up wedged under a set of wheels.

Roundabout adventure completed we headed down the waterfront where many of the tourist restaurants are located. The escort front and back plus the sight of two barangs running down the main road caused more than a few glances. Motos, cars and tuk-tuks alike kept darting in and out but our progress would not be delayed! At one point, very close to the Villas, a kid on a moto decided that the fastest way through the traffic was between and Nat and a parked car. Needless to say, his efforts were paid off with contact with said parked vehicle. Just as he was about to shout at her, he must have gotten the most wicked eyebrow from her that he changed his mind and kept going! Wise move. Her clenched jaw, doubled fists and increasing stride... chase mode, might have helped convincing him further.

As before, the day done but this time we retreated poolside for a cold beer with the team...After the nine days we'd had, we decided that the best thing for all of us was to take a day off and pick it up again after an earned rest.

When we pick it up again we will be heading south for the Vietnam border, again distance uncertain, but we hope to get it done in about two days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th January 2011

congrats
H - read about you guys in the PPP - as a cambodia runner based in Phnom penh (originally from UK) - this is seriously impressive! Would love to buy you lunch or a beer while you are in PP - if not join you on some of your run - send me an email! well done to you both - why not let us know when you are coming next time and you might get some company for some of it?
21st January 2011

Well Done!
Hey guys - you are superstars - well done!! Jeff I hope your leg is feeling better after a nights rest! Keep it up, we're sending you good vibes!! Kathy, Ray and Mia

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb