More Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 5th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.4691, 104.041

Today we were taken to see more temples. This area is packed with them all dating from the 10th – 14th Century. Our first stop was at Ta Prohm which they call the Jungle temple. This has been left as it was found to a large extent with tree roots growing on and through it. Kim, our guide, explained that the locals call it Angeline's temple because it was the set for Lara Croft, Tomb Raider. It certainly is a great film set for an Indiana Jones type of movie. Amazingly though, many of the panels are still intact and it has intricate carvings beneath the moss and lichen. Some of it is being restored through a grant from the Indian Government.
The next stop was at Banteay Srei a much smaller complex called the temple of the women or the pink temple. This is made from pink sandstone and the carvings on the reliefs are exquisite. It is dedicated to Shiva and was started in the late 900sAD. We found this to be the most attractive and compact.
A third stop was at a temple complex, this time built from brick rather than stone. This was thought to be a place for the dead and is called Pre Rup,the Turning of the Body. This has massive brick towers and again is very tall and hard to climb to the top. The views once we got there were great, looking out to the distant hills from which the sandsone was obtained.
Lunch was at a local restaurant and very tasty. Spring Rolls, Chicken and Cashew Nut and Ginger fish with 3 600ml bottles of beer to wash it down for the ridiculous price of $21. I love Cambodia!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb