catching up....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

21 Jan

Flights.....
So we managed the Ottawa/Toronto flight and the luggage did finally arrive. At the Cathay Pacific check in we had a bit of drama, although contained, with Bruce's ticket. The CP agent was concerned that he did not have an 'onward' ticket from Cambodia....a bit of back and forth and we had his boarding pass. Wondering why his pass is yellow and our are orange. We will find out in about 2 hours. For now it is food and such before everything closes down. Toronto to Hong Kong is a 15 hour flight followed by a several hour layover...wonder what will become of the three of us...oh I almost forgot! Nat had a fan at the CATSA checkpoint! I got the quiz about what the 'pump' things (water filters) were in my carry-on. Nat got to enjoy dumping her entire bag on the table. Eyebrows went up a bit when the CATSA agent (she) came across the 'Whiz'! No stories that I am willing to tell!

Until the next flight....Jeff

January 23
Woooowhooooo! Two flights down, one to go. Enjoying $68 for two Starbucks and removing the haze of 15 hours of flying, which included 4 movies 3 meals and a couple of naps. Another 4 hours before our flight to Phnom Penh and then we are truly on our way. Security was not too bad but we did have to explain at every checkpoint what they were. Was a bit worried here in Hong Kong but an showed them an example with my water bottle and they were satisfied. Not overly impressed that I had gotten through the screening with ½ a water bottle, so I am now completely re-hydrated! Time to enjoy a latte and get the sweaters removed from my teeth! Jeff

The flight to Phnom Penh was nothing exciting but it seemed to last forever! Not wanting any minute to go by any faster than they would but really looking forward to be able to remove my knees out of the semi-permanent 'airplane' pose.

Arrival into Phnom Penh was thankfully uneventful and after collecting all of our baggage, yes we seemed to have a lot! One final customs clearance and we were free to go adventuring!

Sophea and Lysa were waiting for us, it was great to see them again! Lysa has grown and is now a full of energy six year old, cute as ever! It felt like a homecoming.

We spent the morning getting sorted and then off for an Amok and an Angkor! That led to more and the a friend of Sophea, Paul, joined us and the day got started!

We covered the last months and got to know each other and decided on a sunset cruise on the river. Phnom Penh is great for this because it is where the Tonle Sap and the Mekong meet. We spent the evening just the 6 of us cruzing the river, Bruce and Lysa chasing the odd fishing skiff around the river. Night set in and dinner was set. The day finally caught up with me and yes, I was the one asleep while sitting straight up! Nathalie said no one noticed but I am sure they did and the jokes are earned! Nat and I made our way back home and the rest continued....it was very late somewhere in the world but our night ended at 9pm.....

24 January
The first full day in Phnom Penh! We woke up early and enjoyed hearing the city wake up. Noise and chaos gained as the sun rose. Breakfast was of course, noodle soup in the Central Market. Past the fish, the fruit and all other things you can only see in the market....

Breakfast lead to shopping and Bruce learned the hard way that if you barter on something, you buy it, like it or not. Well.....Bruce you will get better at that! A bit of shopping here and there and it was back to Sophea's to get ready for our 5 hour taxi ride to Siem Reap.

The ride, well it is once again a challenge to the senses. How do 3 cars, two tuk-tuk and a dog fit on a two lane road? They don't actually, because there is a very large bus bearing down on everyone! We survived, surly driver and all and made it to the Ivy2.

Checked in and stuff strewn everywhere, mossies killed and very hungry we headed out. Strangely enough we ended up at Sophea's restaurant, Le Grande Cafe. From there it was off to the Blue Pumpkin for a coffee (and ice cream!)....back to the Ivy 2 and an early night to sleep. We earned it...

25 January

So we are officially now 48 hours in....Mombo, a friend of Paul and Hen from Phnom Penh, agreed to be our tuk-tuk driver for the day. One the schedule was Ta Phrom, Ta Som, Banyon and the mighty Angkor Wat, which is also the starting place for our run (assuming we get through the governmental drama in time!). For me it was a return to my favorite temples and they did not disappoint me. The crowds were sometimes frustrating but we spent time in places the masses don't usually go. The outer walls of the temples tell a story many don't find and when the buses and hordes were gone, we made for other parts....My favorite part of the day was spending time in the upper part of Angkor. Closed for a long time, including when I was here last, the views and the experience were amazing! Watching Nathalie climbing among the ruins, under and over places, without a word spoken, made today a perfect day. Thank you!

Back at the Ivy2, sun getting lower and a very cold beer complete, we are off to meet with Hidden Cambodia and work out the final logistics. HC has been talking to a Hong Kong based travel company who are shooting in the area and have heard about the run from HC....

Tomorrow is off to Rolos with Mombo and the hunt for a perfect Cambodian Beef noodle soup....until then! Jeff


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



26th January 2010

Great!
Glued to my email, Jeff. Huge hugs and wishes for good luck coming to you from NJ. Glad all seems to be going well so far. The ruins look amazing. You guys are an inspiration to us all. Safe journeys and keep the reports coming. XOXOXOXOX
26th January 2010

Tuk Tuk picture.
Did Bruce's face go through a meat grinder ?
27th January 2010

Bruce the would be fire fighter...
was trying to dispose of some black powder and caught a flash fire in the face, 2nd degree burns. Emily pronounced him fit to fly and he now fits in real well in the leper community...
27th January 2010

Bruce, the fire eater...
Darwin hides in the strangest places...

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb