Nat here.....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 26th 2010
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Went on keyboard hiatus and was happy to let Jeff channel Chaucer for a while, however here goes... Cambodia is paradox. A wonderful one at that. Big first impression, Quebec drivers have nothing on Cambodian No Rules Driving... I dare you to play chicken with a bus when you are driving on the wrong side of the road. Phnom-Penh is almost a sensory overload on ALL fronts. The noise, the smells, the new upper class ramming itself through in those god forsaken Cadillac Escalades right alongside sidewalk dormitories raft with prone souls loosing themselves to chemical oblivion.

Meeting Paul and Sophea, and spending time with Lysa and her endless supply of smiles and giggles, seeing Bruce discover a country and mostly himself has been such a gift. Thanks to Sophea, getting behind the scenes of Cambodian life, spending time in the Central Market... trust me my interpretation of fish sticks has forever been challenged and nighttime cruises on the Mekong with the soft sultry air set the tone for our trip to Siem Reap. The temples are a sight beholden although, one aught to brave the rainy season and visit them went hoards of tour buses slim a bit... enough said. Reality struck hard last night when we met with Paul and Sheila who are handling our logistics for the run, my moods rapidly shifting back and forth between “bring it on” and “OMG what have we done”. Jeff has been a rock, is channeling his inner Aquarius daily filtering our daily water and remembering his Engineering ways, fixing the hotel screens and plumbing. By the way let yourself have gastrointestinal distress when you come down here because clearly the local plumbing when present, cannot handle healthy constitutions. Enough said and likely too much information.

Advertisement



27th January 2010

Cambodian no rules driving...
Can it be kept in check with Canadian no rules running ? Datte izze de couestchion. FiFille d'amouuuue, smouatchhhh.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb