Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 29th 2006
Published: February 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gas BarGas BarGas Bar

Gas stations are few and far between but these roadside stands are everywhere. Gas is sold in litre containers, frequently in Johnny Walker wiskey bottles.
Our host took us on a tour of the morning market. He was able to point out many of the exotic fruits and vegatables to us and took us around to the gold jewelry sellers. Some exquisite work. He also took us to another shopping district, this one more touristy with countless restaurants, bars and shops. Saw a place called the "Happy Herb Pizza". Hmmmm. I wonder what spices they use in their sauce.

In the late afternoon we were taken out of town towards the Tonle Sap, one of the largest lakes in Asia. On the outskirts of the city we went through palm-shaded villages that use water wheels to pump water from the Siem Reap river into the rice fields. Further along the road, we started to encounter fishing villages, The road had narrowed to a dirt track.

The houses are built on stilts and are moved up and down stream according to the height of the river. By the time we reached the end of the road, the river is a dark grey and the Vietnamese refugee fishermen live in abject poverty. This is why I haven't been eating much fish.

Here we pick up
Cambodian House BoatCambodian House BoatCambodian House Boat

Actually, an information centre to promote the ecology of the river.
a long-tailed boat to the mouth of the river. I am careful not to come in contact with the water. though it is now a palitable muddy brown. The boats that ferry people are piloted by teenaged boys who enjoy racing each other. It is just as hectic as land-based traffic.

At the mouth of the river we are shown a fish farm and exhibit showing various species of fish that are caught and the traps and nets used. There is also a crocodile farm. The crocs are sold to China and Vietnam where they are transformed into shoes, belts and purses.

Back to town where we are dropped off in the same area as this morning. We look around a bit and have supper at a posh Indian restaurant. This part of town is full of beggers.

I will sign off and go back and add as many photos to previous blogs as I can before Claudette gets bored and want to go back to our B&B.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Row Housing on the RiverRow Housing on the River
Row Housing on the River

This must be the rich part of the town as the houses have doors, shutters, gardens and clapboard sheathing.
River TrafficRiver Traffic
River Traffic

Even the poorest of houses have TV antennas. These trees will be covered over by water during the rainy season.
Water TravelWater Travel
Water Travel

Not sure if this craft is powered by steam or what.
Crocodile FarmCrocodile Farm
Crocodile Farm

Don't fall in.
Farming on the riverFarming on the river
Farming on the river

Behind the crossed sticks (fishing net) is a raft with garden, woodpile and pigpen.


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb